• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Serious Torquay Thread

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm not sure I agree that TQ is a good away day really. The only good thing is you are home quick after the game.
Yep..Though getting home quick was non existent on one occasion, a midweeker which coincided with my Birthday. A right old session in the afternoon, a couple of pints after the game. Taxi to Torre Station where both I & a mate fell asleep on the bench missing the last train back !
A expensive Taxi ride back at midnight.

Some great memories at Plainmoor. I don’t think the drama of the Play Off Semi will ever be beaten.
The satisfaction of beating the away fan ban in 1988 with about 40 others, was another great day(won 4-0)

Paignton red

Yep, Nothing quite like supporting your club when they're stuggling. ;)
Absolutely couldn’t agree more 👍

Bridgy 81

In the 80s when me and my brother-in-law first started coming down to City matches Torquay used to play on Saturday evenings.
We'd watch our match from the Cowshed then sometimes drive down to the English Riviera, have a KFC bargain bucket between us from somewhere near the harbour, then onto Plainmoor.
I never had any particular affinity with the Gulls but two games in one day wasn't to be sniffed at.
Mind you this was before I got married!

andrew p long

In the 80s when me and my brother-in-law first started coming down to City matches Torquay used to play on Saturday evenings.
We'd watch our match from the Cowshed then sometimes drive down to the English Riviera, have a KFC bargain bucket between us from somewhere near the harbour, then onto Plainmoor.
I never had any particular affinity with the Gulls but two games in one day wasn't to be sniffed at.
Mind you this was before I got married!
Ah there was the day long ago when City Argyle and Torquay were at home (on Good Friday?) . The kick offs were fixed (morning, afternoon,evening) to allow all 3 games to be seen. And IIRC there was a bus organised to make it possible (or am I imagining this?)

andrew p long

Fair shout to the Gulls, over 2000 attendance at PM yesterday , near bottom of the NL table and playing poorly with equally disastrous form . If Exeter city were in a similar position couldn't see many more fans at St James tbh.
I think things have changed to higher attendances at lower levels. The thought of City regularly selling out/ getting (much) more than 6,000 regularly was unimaginable just a couple of years back. That's become widespread. At Kiddy Harriers - a league below Torquay - they are regularly getting 2,000+ for a side mired in mid table with the lowest goal tally in the league bar the sides being relegated and just a handful of home wins all season.

Bridgy 81

I think things have changed to higher attendances at lower levels. The thought of City regularly selling out/ getting (much) more than 6,000 regularly was unimaginable just a couple of years back. That's become widespread. At Kiddy Harriers - a league below Torquay - they are regularly getting 2,000+ for a side mired in mid table with the lowest goal tally in the league bar the sides being relegated and just a handful of home wins all season.
And that’s even without the availability of their lovely soup anymore.

Grecian Max

I'm not sure I agree that TQ is a good away day really. The only good thing is you are home quick after the game.
Obviously everyone is different but I can’t see how Torquay wouldn’t be regarded as a decent away day. Bit of local interest, their crowd is up for it, away end mainly standing behind the goal. Pubs are no worse than most other dives we have to visit. We usually win.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Obviously everyone is different but I can’t see how Torquay wouldn’t be regarded as a decent away day. Bit of local interest, their crowd is up for it, away end mainly standing behind the goal. Pubs are no worse than most other dives we have to visit. We usually win.
The games are usually decent, but the pubs are generally pretty pants. Then I would say that as a pin badge wearing, Ale drinking programme ticking city fan 😉.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yep..Though getting home quick was non existent on one occasion, a midweeker which coincided with my Birthday. A right old session in the afternoon, a couple of pints after the game. Taxi to Torre Station where both I & a mate fell asleep on the bench missing the last train back !
A expensive Taxi ride back at midnight.

Some great memories at Plainmoor. I don’t think the drama of the Play Off Semi will ever be beaten.
The satisfaction of beating the away fan ban in 1988 with about 40 others, was another great day(won 4-0)
The Angus macpherson match win was a good day as well

Oldsmobile-88

The Angus macpherson match win was a good day as well
Indeed...🎶 Angus where’s your trousers 🎶