• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Official Warsaw versus Exeter City Matchday Thread

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
He might have been superb generally, but he would have done a whole lot better with both those goals if he'd come off his line instead of staying rooted to the spot; particularly the second.
So, had he been average L2 fare it would have been (at least) 0-2 anyway.

Still, gave you something to moan about! All these "clean sheets" must be doing your noggin in. At least you had the nice big scoreboard to fill the gap in your otherwise miserable afternoon.

Antony Moxey

^^ Total bell as usual.

i8cornwall

My take on what Matt said (or didn't say) is that in practically every interview he does around a match he praises the support, home and away. He is always saying how great the Big Bank is and how well our supporters travel and support the team.

What I took from his comments yesterday about the pyro was that it held up the game at a point where we had just scored and were on top. He was understandably impatient that the game restarted so we could get back on them. That is apart from whether you think it is harmless or not, it is against ground regs and the club could be held responsible.

Indeed Walsall could be held responsible and they would be within their rights to be tougher on all City fans the next time we visit therefore impacting us all because of one persons selfishness in enjoying himself and thinking he is a legend among his peers. I remember what being a youngster is about and that but although they might be punished individually, it has an impact on all.

I wasn't at FGR so cannot comment on whatever was aimed at JMT. In general though there is a line between banter and abuse. If on this occasion it has strayed into abuse of any kind it should be called out. If Matt thinks some element of the support is stepping over the line and is in danger of becoming a trend, then he should be able to say so. The next time someone might think it is cool to throw something at an opponent or official which is creeping back into the game.

As football supporters, we know it is a minority and the vast majority are well behaved. But the reality is these things do draw an opinion on all of us whether as a particular club or as football fans in general. The reaction of those who have influence on the regulation and policing then affect us all. They see the actions of one (or a handful) of nobheads and they think we are all nobheads and treat us as such. It shouldn't be, but it just is and the longer nobhead behaviour continues so will the blanket judgement.

Matt is the manager and as such a public figurehead of the club. He should take the lead on highlighting these incidents and saying why it is not welcome as much as he does highlighting the great support they do give. Whether that upsets some or not is irrelevant when it comes to doing the right thing in a wider context.
I fully agree with most of what you have said, I wasn't at the game yesterday and till watching his interview had no idea anything happened at FGR. The club has previously taken a dim view on things being said to past players regardless if it over steps the line or not, which always baffles me.

Matt is well within his right to voice his opinions but sadly if he thinks him saying don't do stupid thing or swear is going to make it stop then sadly he is probably going to be in for a shock. Id assume Matt will be working with the club, trust and fans groups to resolve this issue, being as he has brought it up.

At the end of the day negative comments will be spoken about and wrote about then positive things.

Rosencrantz

I fully agree with most of what you have said, I wasn't at the game yesterday and till watching his interview had no idea anything happened at FGR. The club has previously taken a dim view on things being said to past players regardless if it over steps the line or not, which always baffles me.

Matt is well within his right to voice his opinions but sadly if he thinks him saying don't do stupid thing or swear is going to make it stop then sadly he is probably going to be in for a shock. Id assume Matt will be working with the club, trust and fans groups to resolve this issue, being as he has brought it up.

At the end of the day negative comments will be spoken about and wrote about then positive things.
I suppose whether anyone thinks it will make a difference or not, calling out something that you think is wrong is always the right thing to do even if it upsets some or meets with apathy. It's taking a lead and Matt has always been a good leader. Just because there will always be nobhead behaviour (or worse) doesn't mean everyone should shrug their shoulders and move on. That way lies escalation.

Anyway, this is heading into more philosophical directions 😉

Grecianpasty

He could have said some positive words towards the 600 who made the trip up. We expect that level of support from our fans, but he seems to be tarring all fans with the same brush. It's not difficult when asked about the support to thank those for doing the 300 mile round trip, whilst chastising those who went over the top. And why bring up Forest Green?
Couldn't disagree more. MT continually thanks the fans for their support in almost every interview he does.

How can you question a man who challenges homophobia and committing illegal acts, but condemn him for not saying thank you to someone.

LUDICROUS!

suffolklad

Agreed, Taylor has a bit of a head master vibe about him sometimes and I’m sure pyro is not his cup of tea but on that podcast last week he couldn’t praise the bank enough. Same lads probably involved in both types of things, the lively stuff is one and the same. Without that youth you’d just get everyone drinking bovril, adding their latest pin badge to their hat or commenting on a spelling error in the programme.

Anyway no one is ever going to get convinced on either side so is always a dead end argument.

And before another Matt Phillips or whatever he’s called says something about me being too old for it - I full well know that 😂 it’s not my thing anymore but I still enjoy watching from the sidelines. On a rare sojourn down to SJP v Oldham I was really impressed with the masses ranks at the back of the bank - absolutely loads of young lads getting behind their local team in and active way. Cracking stuff.
didn't mean to hit like. I think this is massively over the top. The fans are brilliant at city and my experience away. But you can't ignore idiots who spoil it an MT was right in calling them out. As I said he did go on to praise but of course you choose to ignore this fact.

denzel

Couldn't disagree more. MT continually thanks the fans for their support in almost every interview he does.

How can you question a man who challenges homophobia and committing illegal acts, but condemn him for not saying thank you to someone.

LUDICROUS!
No need for that tone. There was nothing in my posts to suggest that I support any of those actions.

fred binneys head

As I said he did go on to praise but of course you choose to ignore this fact.
He didn’t. Watch the tape.

Avening Posse

Another great team performance like the one at FGR recently. Let’s hope we are clicking at the right time. Hartlepool are on a poor run of late so hopefully we will finish January off with 10 points from 5 matches

geoffwp

Anyway, this is heading into more philosophical directions 😉
And why not. This and your previous post I think are excellent. They are balanced and well thought answers to what occurred and to previous posts that seemed to seek to minimalise the event. I make you absolutely right also regarding Matt Taylor's duty as manager.