• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Official Warsaw versus Exeter City Matchday Thread

JCWhoosh

Nanny state lover
A little bit disappointed in that comment. You don't know me. All I was stating is its not allowed so why do it! Whether I agree with the rule or not. It detracts from a great away support that City brings and unnecessary press that goes with it. We want to hear KMT talk about the positives in the game, not a couple of mindless idiots that bring the club down with pathetic chanting and smoke bombs. We have a great support without the need of the 'extras'.
Now if the FA allow it then I'm all for it!

Last edited:

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thought their keeper was great yesterday (apart from the rush out of goal). Think he’s only 20, real prospect. Some excellent stops, the Zanzala double save and deserves credit for saving the Archie one.

Grecian Max

A little bit disappointed in that comment. You don't know me. All I was stating is its not allowed so why do it! Whether I agree with the rule or not. It detracts from a great away support that City brings and unnecessary press that goes with it. We want to hear KMT talk about the positives in the game, not a couple of mindless idiots that bring the club down with pathetic chanting and smoke bombs. We have a great support without the need of the 'extras'.
Now if the FA allow it then I'm all for it!
All good, however sometimes things in life that aren’t “allowed” aren’t necessarily awful things.

Tbh when I go somewhere like Italy, you can tell it’s not just in football where things are more relaxed, it’s just how they are. Bit of pyro and chaos in the right areas rightfully get looked on admiringly by the youth whilst we chucked our terrace culture for sitting in concrete bowls being charged a fortune for dry pies and warm beer. We are much more uptight here and sticklers for rules. Boring culture to match our boring weather I guess.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I know people are cynical about these things, their problem, but we got 3 players in to the EFL L2 team of the week!

Grecian Max

No he wasn’t, he was answering a question inviting him to praise the brilliant support from the fans, and he chose not to. I’m over it already, but let’s not pretend it was anything other than it was - he was asked how brilliant our fans were yesterday after 90 minutes of constant backing, and he chose to only speak about the smoke bomb and an offensive chant from a game two weeks ago. Not a word of praise or thanks.
Agreed, Taylor has a bit of a head master vibe about him sometimes and I’m sure pyro is not his cup of tea but on that podcast last week he couldn’t praise the bank enough. Same lads probably involved in both types of things, the lively stuff is one and the same. Without that youth you’d just get everyone drinking bovril, adding their latest pin badge to their hat or commenting on a spelling error in the programme.

Anyway no one is ever going to get convinced on either side so is always a dead end argument.

And before another Matt Phillips or whatever he’s called says something about me being too old for it - I full well know that 😂 it’s not my thing anymore but I still enjoy watching from the sidelines. On a rare sojourn down to SJP v Oldham I was really impressed with the masses ranks at the back of the bank - absolutely loads of young lads getting behind their local team in and active way. Cracking stuff.

geoffwp

I dont think you should be allowed into SJP unless you can prove you're over 25 and show your GCE certificates at the gate or you've got your mum or dad with you. That'll bleddy sort it.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I know people are cynical about these things, their problem, but we got 3 players in to the EFL L2 team of the week!

Sadly given his recent performances & publicity I think this might be Cheick's last season with us - well done Cheick and don't forget to sign up as a Trust member before you go ! UTC (Up the City & Up the Cheick)

grecIAN Harris

Sadly given his recent performances & publicity I think this might be Cheick's last season with us - well done Cheick and don't forget to sign up as a Trust member before you go ! UTC (Up the City & Up the Cheick)
Are you on the wind up? The lad has done well but he isn't anywhere near as accomplished looking as Jordan Storey was.

Rosencrantz

My take on what Matt said (or didn't say) is that in practically every interview he does around a match he praises the support, home and away. He is always saying how great the Big Bank is and how well our supporters travel and support the team.

What I took from his comments yesterday about the pyro was that it held up the game at a point where we had just scored and were on top. He was understandably impatient that the game restarted so we could get back on them. That is apart from whether you think it is harmless or not, it is against ground regs and the club could be held responsible.

Indeed Walsall could be held responsible and they would be within their rights to be tougher on all City fans the next time we visit therefore impacting us all because of one persons selfishness in enjoying himself and thinking he is a legend among his peers. I remember what being a youngster is about and that but although they might be punished individually, it has an impact on all.

I wasn't at FGR so cannot comment on whatever was aimed at JMT. In general though there is a line between banter and abuse. If on this occasion it has strayed into abuse of any kind it should be called out. If Matt thinks some element of the support is stepping over the line and is in danger of becoming a trend, then he should be able to say so. The next time someone might think it is cool to throw something at an opponent or official which is creeping back into the game.

As football supporters, we know it is a minority and the vast majority are well behaved. But the reality is these things do draw an opinion on all of us whether as a particular club or as football fans in general. The reaction of those who have influence on the regulation and policing then affect us all. They see the actions of one (or a handful) of nobheads and they think we are all nobheads and treat us as such. It shouldn't be, but it just is and the longer nobhead behaviour continues so will the blanket judgement.

Matt is the manager and as such a public figurehead of the club. He should take the lead on highlighting these incidents and saying why it is not welcome as much as he does highlighting the great support they do give. Whether that upsets some or not is irrelevant when it comes to doing the right thing in a wider context.

PeteUSA

Bot account. Their keeper was superb yesterday. Maybe apart from the head rush which contributed to the sending off.
He might have been superb generally, but he would have done a whole lot better with both those goals if he'd come off his line instead of staying rooted to the spot; particularly the second.