• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Official Exeter City v Swindon Town JPT Round 2 Matchday thread

GrecianWonder

Of course Ant there is also the difference in 'being there' and actually 'seeing it', how many people can honestly say that they watch ever minute of every game they attend. I often read your excellant match report written from your position in the 'posh seats'! and note something that i had missed from my position on BB because of angles, obstructions, etc, or possibly i was just not paying attention at that particular moment.
We often get quotes on Exeweb from 'Joe Soap' who was stood on the BB saying how something that happened down at the away end, amidst a clutter of players was a 'definate penalty/free kick'. With eyesight like that they should be fighter pilots!
We, as home fans will always see what we want to see and interpret events and outcomes differently, that's the nature of us all as human beings.
I stood on the BB for the first time on tuesday and could see nothing down the other end. I was thinking to myself throughout i dont know how anyone can get a decent idea of how the game is going from that end. Obviously its better down at their end but thats only half the pitch. Back to my season ticket seat in the OG!

Andy_H

"I always used to reckon the best place to watch football was the "Shelf" at Spurs in the old days: High up, on the halfway line, yet standing up and involved with the crowd."

I remember going to watch a Champions League game at The Nou Camp [1997/97] between Barcelona v Dynamo Kiev and we were sat right up 'in the gods' behind the goal and two rows down from the scoreboard, it was not dissimilar to standing in your front room and watching subutio! There was no way you could make out which player was who let alone make an informed decision on events. But where it was a good position to watch from was in understanding the 'off the ball' running that goes on and how players not involved directly in the action move to either cover the opposition or be in place to receive a pass.
By the way Barca lost 0 - 4 on the night and were booed off the pitch at full time, whereas Kiev were given a standing ovation in the centre circle by the Barca crowd, i'll bet that the Barca version of Exeweb went into meltdown that night as well! It was possibly one of Bobby Robson's last games in charge.

rustle

I stood on the BB for the first time on tuesday and could see nothing down the other end. I was thinking to myself throughout i dont know how anyone can get a decent idea of how the game is going from that end. Obviously its better down at their end but thats only half the pitch. Back to my season ticket seat in the OG!
The old BB was even worse, only stood there once to see what it was like. Give me the middle of the old cowshed any time. The new BB view is poor for seeing what's going on at the away end but at least the atmosphere is (usually) good.

Rog H K

The old BB was even worse, only stood there once to see what it was like. Give me the middle of the old cowshed any time. The new BB view is poor for seeing what's going on at the away end but at least the atmosphere is (usually) good.
Cowshed was great, but had two problems. You couldn't see the near bye line and you were constantly swaying to see the action between the pillars.

Chudleigh Cannon

Cowshed was great, but had two problems. You couldn't see the near bye line and you were constantly swaying to see the action between the pillars.
Or you were falling off the wall at the back!

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
We often get quotes on Exeweb from 'Joe Soap' who was stood on the BB saying how something that happened down at the away end, amidst a clutter of players was a 'definate penalty/free kick'. With eyesight like that they should be fighter pilots!
Well quite, which is I was questioning whether some people could say that Swindon's two penalty claims were definitely not penalties.

Poultice

I always used to reckon the best place to watch football was the "Shelf" at Spurs in the old days: High up, on the halfway line, yet standing up and involved with the crowd.
I make you right although the occasions I was there it was mobbed out and seeing anything at all relied on good elbow work. Perhaps in the mid eighties when Mackster assures me he watched League games with well under 20k in.

The Cowshed was a great place to watch from, as long as you didn't mind being able to see nowt.

geoffwp

The Cowshed was a great place to watch from, as long as you didn't mind being able to see nowt.
Can't remember ever going in there to actually watch anything on the pitch. Always more action and hillarity going on around you...well...under the camera scaffold anyway. Twas a bit like going to the odeon on a saturday morning. Could never remember a thing about the films. far too many interesting other things happening!! ;)

IndoMike

Well quite, which is I was questioning whether some people could say that Swindon's two penalty claims were definitely not penalties.
So nobody's opinion is valid, then.

Willy Nilly

I always laugh when people on the big bank declare to have seen something at the far end. B*ll*cks unless you have binoculars!