• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Official Exeter City v Swindon Town JPT Round 2 Matchday thread

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
See post 235.

Now I may be wrong in my thinking here and IM dressed as a Martian could well draw a snigger; but dressed in his wife's lingerie ? That's just gross. :)
I suspect you're probably better off dressed as a Martian. It would be a quintessential male figure indeed that could carry off a lingerie look ...

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
1. *Should I rely on your match reviews then (which actually aren't that bad)?
2. If both "Fred the neighbor" and Darren Rowbotham wrote a match report on the same match, whose report would you respect most? I respect my source's opinions more than many other opinions, end of.
3. It has been said many times before, Exeweb (and indeed football) is all about opinions. I have given my opinion : you have given yours. We could go around in circles about that one.
4. Don't automatically discount the opinions of people who can't attend the matches regularly. We are also fans and make our sacrifices too to follow City, even from a distance - it's just that we can't attend matches, much to our chagrine. We form opinions based on the media, based on reading the opinions of others on Exeweb, based on contacts, and based on results. As I mentioned before, someone can attend 46 matches a season but they still might know s*d all..
No you shouldn't rely on my match report as a basis for opinion on team and individual performances - that's my point! You should base your opinions on what you see, how do you know your mate has the same opinions as you - he might think a player didn't have the luck with him, you might think he just wasn't very good.

And even if you go on radio commentary, it's still never entirely factual as there's always a bit of the reporters own opinions in there. So unless you witness a game first hand, you can never truly comment on it as invariably your opinions are based on and swayed by others, and you cannot guarantee that they will think the same as you.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
... So unless you witness a game first hand, you can never truly comment on it as invariably your opinions are based on and swayed by others, and you cannot guarantee that they will think the same as you.
... ergo you cannot form an opinion on historical events as you weren't there to witness them. Nor assume what a particular car is like unless first you drive it. Or form an understanding of the moon's surface unless you walk on it. Your theory, Ant, would also make a nonsense of the entire educational process ...

Antony Moxey

... ergo you cannot form an opinion on historical events as you weren't there to witness them. Nor assume what a particular car is like unless first you drive it. Or form an understanding of the moon's surface unless you walk on it. Your theory, Ant, would also make a nonsense of the entire educational process ...
Tosh Rae. Football is subjective WRT performance, so you have to see the event to form an opinion. The result is absolute, so you're perfectly entitled to say whether your opinion is that it's good or not, but you can't comment with any conviction as to the manner in which it was achieved unless you've seen it yourself.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Touché ...

IndoMike

Tosh Rae. Football is subjective WRT performance, so you have to see the event to form an opinion. The result is absolute, so you're perfectly entitled to say whether your opinion is that it's good or not, but you can't comment with any conviction as to the manner in which it was achieved unless you've seen it yourself.
But even a comment on a result is still an opinion. And an opinion is always subjective. For example, if we lose our home again against Sheffield Wednesday 1-2 later in the season, will that be a good result or a bad result?

Poultice

Nay lad, it is Shirley possible to form an opinion based on in depth analysis of reports from people who actually saw the events in question, that being a valid opinion as long as its source is declared ergo :- " My mate said Artur was a complete numpty for their second", is an undeniable fact evidenced both by those who saw it live and anyone that took the time to watch the highlights, although the espouser, moi, was not at the game.

I have of course seen snippets so wouldn't be completely of the charts per your "seen it yourself" caveat, but I did hold a similar view prior to the highlights being available drawn from the recounted experiences of those who were in attendance.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Nay lad, it is Shirley possible to form an opinion based on in depth analysis of reports from people who actually saw the events in question, that being a valid opinion as long as its source is declared ergo :- " My mate said Artur was a complete numpty for their second", is an undeniable fact evidenced both by those who saw it live and anyone that took the time to watch the highlights, although the espouser, moi, was not at the game.

I have of course seen snippets so wouldn't be completely of the charts per your "seen it yourself" caveat, but I did hold a similar view prior to the highlights being available drawn from the recounted experiences of those who were in attendance.
Indeed - I always use the caveat "according to the radio comms..." when I comment on matches I have listened to rather than seen.

What I would tend to find from these as opposed to visiting Exeweb after a game is that the comms, as people there to convey what is actually happening on the pitch, will *usually* have some detachment from the emotion of winning/losing and will call it as they see it, whereas a lot of posters on Exeweb (and not confined to here, other clubs suffer from it too) will make a basis for their judgement based first on the result, even if they were there. Classic case in point for me was when we lost at Forest Green in 06/07 - we were robbed that night and spent a large chunk of the match laying siege on their goal, but because we had lost, to a supposedly inferior team, the over-riding opinion on here was that we were awful.

Andy_H

Of course Ant there is also the difference in 'being there' and actually 'seeing it', how many people can honestly say that they watch ever minute of every game they attend. I often read your excellant match report written from your position in the 'posh seats'! and note something that i had missed from my position on BB because of angles, obstructions, etc, or possibly i was just not paying attention at that particular moment.
We often get quotes on Exeweb from 'Joe Soap' who was stood on the BB saying how something that happened down at the away end, amidst a clutter of players was a 'definate penalty/free kick'. With eyesight like that they should be fighter pilots!
We, as home fans will always see what we want to see and interpret events and outcomes differently, that's the nature of us all as human beings.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
We often get quotes on Exeweb from 'Joe Soap' who was stood on the BB saying how something that happened down at the away end, amidst a clutter of players was a 'definate penalty/free kick'. With eyesight like that they should be fighter pilots!
We, as home fans will always see what we want to see and interpret events and outcomes differently, that's the nature of us all as human beings.
It's true that if you want to get an overall picture of the game you have to be a few rows back near the halfway line as I am in the OG at home games. Though I enjoy equally away games where we are all behind one goal or in the corner, as the camerarderie is greater. There is no right answer.

I always used to reckon the best place to watch football was the "Shelf" at Spurs in the old days: High up, on the halfway line, yet standing up and involved with the crowd.

Though nowadays, watching Spurs games on t' box, I find the camera angle from there a bit too "birds eye" a view, somewhat detatched from the atmosphere...