• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Next Exeter City First Team Manager Thread

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Mail online has put a piece out saying he has been sacked
And you believe The Mail (in any case) over what isn't on the clubs own website? Bigger fool you.

sign of the chimes

It's a decent job, he knows the club and how to make it successful, he'll have a free swing at this season and if we were to go down would have a decent financial base to plot a return. What's not in it for him. Sacked by Rotherham... Were the kind of club in the kind of situation he's likely to end up at.
He's on a long-term contract at Rotherham, isn't he (until 2026)? That piqued my interest at the time as it was quite a show of commitment by the hierarchy at Rotherham.

Having said that, most departures now are 'mutual consent' rather than outright sackings, even rarer are they resignations, as the latter mean no compensation for the departing party.

AIUI the purpose of a mutual consent departure removes the obligation of the employer to pay up the full contract and enables a negotiation around compenstation relating to the remaining value.

However, it does seem to be the case that the compensation is typically paid on a monthly basis, like a salary; and is dependent on the manager not being employed in a similar role elsewhere - often for a period of 12 months.

If this is what happens with MT at Rotherham the chances are that unless another Championship club comes a-calling - he's likely to want to spend the best part of 12 months doing something else and drawing the £x k a month that Rotherham will continue to pay him for that period. I suspect it's one of the reasons that Danny Cowley is only now starting to be linked with vacant L1/2 posts (he left Pompey in January), and has filled the interim period doing lots of media work.

Convoluted point from me (sorry) is that even if he went from Rotherham tomorrow and GC did the same from SJP - I think the contracturals would probably be a big disincentive for MT taking back the reins.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
And you believe The Mail (in any case) over what isn't on the clubs own website? Bigger fool you.
let's see tomorrow shall we before we cast assertions. Notably as if you actually take the time to read what I said was that it had been reported on that news site. Have I said anything about it therefore must be true? Whether it is true we will find out if the mail are fools or whether you have jumped the gun ....

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
He's on a long-term contract at Rotherham, isn't he (until 2026)? That piqued my interest at the time as it was quite a show of commitment by the hierarchy at Rotherham.

Having said that, most departures now are 'mutual consent' rather than outright sackings, even rarer are they resignations, as the latter mean no compensation for the departing party.

AIUI the purpose of a mutual consent departure removes the obligation of the employer to pay up the full contract and enables a negotiation around compenstation relating to the remaining value.

However, it does seem to be the case that the compensation is typically paid on a monthly basis, like a salary; and is dependent on the manager not being employed in a similar role elsewhere - often for a period of 12 months.

If this is what happens with MT at Rotherham the chances are that unless another Championship club comes a-calling - he's likely to want to spend the best part of 12 months doing something else and drawing the £x k a month that Rotherham will continue to pay him for that period. I suspect it's one of the reasons that Danny Cowley is only now starting to be linked with vacant L1/2 posts (he left Pompey in January), and has filled the interim period doing lots of media work.

Convoluted point from me (sorry) is that even if he went from Rotherham tomorrow and GC did the same from SJP - I think the contracturals would probably be a big disincentive for MT taking back the reins.
I doubt Rotherham would insist on a clause preventing him managing us. Maybe rival sides at the same level. Part of the severance negotiation though, isn't it. One thing that might put him off is financially not needing to work for a bit (on probably a lower salary), when a few months off might be more valuable than getting straight into a relegation dogfight with a toothless side.

DB9

let's see tomorrow shall we before we cast assertions. Notably as if you actually take the time to read what I said was that it had been reported on that news site. Have I said anything about it therefore must be true? Whether it is true we will find out if the mail are fools or whether you have jumped the gun ....
Wasn't that news of MT's sacking "Breaking News"? To me that meant it had happened and The Mail are breaking the story. It didn't say "MT sacked but wait for official announcement tomorrow at the earliest" So either they've got their ear to the ground or it's hogwash and they've lifted from a wishful thinking, unhappy Rotherham fan online.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Let's be honest, this season is now about avoiding relegation. I can't see anyone better placed to make that happen than MT. Offer a short term contract until the end of the season and then all parties can look at their options again. We need to look at the current predicament as a matter of urgency and then plan longer term.

Reactions: Ash

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Let's be honest, this season is now about avoiding relegation. I can't see anyone better placed to make that happen than MT. Offer a short term contract until the end of the season and then all parties can look at their options again. We need to look at the current predicament as a matter of urgency and then plan longer term.
MT won't return for various reasons. We all know it. Its tough to take but some times you have to stop stalking that first love and let them move on with their lives 😉.

Grecian Max

The Mail sport column are always spot on - they usually break the news first, including our very own Mr Caldwell joining us.

Usual suspects didn’t believe that one either.

He is sacked.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Mail sport column are always spot on - they usually break the news first, including our very own Mr Caldwell joining us.

Usual suspects didn’t believe that one either.

He is sacked.
Oh no he isn’t!

sign of the chimes

I doubt Rotherham would insist on a clause preventing him managing us. Maybe rival sides at the same level. Part of the severance negotiation though, isn't it. One thing that might put him off is financially not needing to work for a bit (on probably a lower salary), when a few months off might be more valuable than getting straight into a relegation dogfight with a toothless side.
Yeah, sorry, probably wasn't being very clear in the point I was trying to make. The compensation element of a mutual consent departure is an agreed sum paid over a set period which is only payable while the individual is not employed as a manager/head coach elsewhere. It's not about Rotherham seeking a clause to stop him managing Exeter or anyone else - it's just that it's conditional compensation and if he's working elsewhere he's no longer entitled to it from a legal perspective.