• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The National League (Conference) and non league football thread

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, they've been using HMRC as an overdraft facility for many years. For a long time Sainsbury's would ride to the rescue while they were hoping to get the site, but probably no longer.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Notts County’s 25 match unbeaten run in the NL came to a end yesterday with the home defeat against Dagenham & Redbridge(1-2)
Wrexham won & are now just 2 points behind Notts County with a couple of games in hand.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Southend have paid HMRC and so live another day. It looks like he's (Ron Martin) borrowed to do so so we'll get the issue again in June

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
New owners for Yeovil

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Madness. This country is going to the dogs.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
And if the whole Wrexham ownership thing wasn't meta enough they've now signed a retired player who now makes his living from podcasting. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/mar/23/ben-foster-comes-out-of-retirement-to-rejoin-national-league-wrexham

DB9

And if the whole Wrexham ownership thing wasn't meta enough they've now signed a retired player who now makes his living from podcasting. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/mar/23/ben-foster-comes-out-of-retirement-to-rejoin-national-league-wrexham
He's only on a short term deal covering for one of their goalies who's out injured.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Oldsmobile-88

They nearly ground shared at SJP a few seasons back.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Watching the end of Yeovil vs Southend (playing 11 minutes of injury time due to an injury to former Grecian Alex Fisher, which happened before I switched on), one can't help but think Yeovil could be heading to Conf South next season. Torquay are picking up points while Yeovil are woefully short of form.

This reminded me of some sparring I did with a number of other Exewebbers who took issue with something I said in 2014, when we were struggling at the foot of League 2 while they were in the Championship, part of which was in a "Tisdale out" type thread:

(1) Tisdale - So what happens now FFS! | Page 13 | Exeweb - supporting Exeter City since 1999

Jason H said:
Successful short term thinking, I maintain that in 10 years time I believe we'll be higher (and consistently so) in the pyramid.

I'm talking about harbouring ambitions to play for their local team. Without a youth set up they'd have to go elsewhere. Plus having an opportunity (or at least an ambition) to grow up playing for your local team's youth sides is a great way of fostering long-term support and sense of "belonging" to your local team.
9 years after we were two divisions below Yeovil, we're possibly about to go three divisions above them.