• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Feckin' Dire Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Power cuts ☹

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
They queue for the food bank through our work car park and I commented to a colleague about the sad state of affairs in this country. He told me that of the people lining up for their dole one couple, who lived in his street, had just returned from their holiday in Egypt with their four kids. Another couple pulled up in a car far better than mine who my colleague said he knew from his school days had never ever worked.

Seems to me for every twenty struggling families and good hearted folk who donate, there's one who's only too willing to freeload.

Call me judgemental if you will but there's always people taking the pss.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
They queue for the food bank through our work car park and I commented to a colleague about the sad state of affairs in this country. He told me that of the people lining up for their dole one couple, who lived in his street, had just returned from their holiday in Egypt with their four kids. Another couple pulled up in a car far better than mine who my colleague said he knew from his school days had never ever worked.

Seems to me for every twenty struggling families and good hearted folk who donate, there's one who's only too willing to freeload.

Call me judgemental if you will but there's always people taking the pss.
Thing is BTF there are also people out there who struggle daily because they wont (pride) or dont know how to ask for help.

DB9

Whilst I don't doubt what you've Been told BTF, I'm very suspicious about all these "I know these people......" stories, You do realise that no one can just rock up to a foodbank and get groceries? They do have to be referred by the Job Centre, Doctor, Citizens Advice etc. Plus I'm not sure if you meant it but you don't line up at a foodbank to get your dole.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
A "dole" is a handout.

DB9

A "dole" is a handout.
"Dole" was first used in a small bureau in 1908 and later in 1933 was used for a bigger dept "Dept Of Labour and Employment" not for the use of foodbanks, Especially now when more and more working people are having to use them.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
The word was used in English well before that. Look it up.

Anyhow my point about people screwing the system at every opportunity stands.

Grecian2K

Thing is though, while the "undeserving poor" who actually get caught fiddling a few quid off the hapless taxpayer generally get punitive fines and/or custodial sentences, the rich spivs and speculators who do the same on an industrial scale invariably get knight or dame hoods and probably multiple well remunerated directorships with crony companies.

DB9

It was but it has been commonly used for "Dole Money" ie Unemplyment Benefit, A tiny % of people do screw the system, Not just those on Benefits, You only have to look at the recent FS, They weren't unemployed people defrauding us (The Taxpayer) out of money, It was bosses and phantom companies that were set up doing that, Also the tax avoidance etc, Not unemployed doing that either but somehow we like to demonise those at the lower end of life more, Pehaps this is more "Feckin Dire"?

Also when your friend saw the people driving a better car, Perhaps they were on the Mobility Scheme where they can get a car to use? and with those that went on this holiday to Egypt with their four kids, Why doesn't your friend report that? You can you know, Very easily and anonymously and if they are screwing the system they can get done for it

Grecian2K

Is Billy's colleague sure that it was Egypt and not Rwanda?

Status
Not open for further replies.