• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Echo

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Just a shame much of the news section reads more like the News of the World than a quality local "voice of the people" - so much so, that they had to write an editorial distancing themselves from the likes of the NotW (ref. hacking scandal) only last week!
The Hounslow Chronicle also had one, so I assume it was a bit of a job lot amongst the locals.

As far as the comments, especially from Egg, are concerned, there would IMO be little damage to the "impact" a weekly freesheet can have wrt Stansfield Foundation etc. Again, I'd look to the Hounslow Chronicle as my basis for argument - the sport section of the paper is (almost) as detailed as it was back in the day when it was a paid-for paper, with a lot of page space also dedicated to local campaigns.

Bondy

Exeter - views are my own and not representative o
I notice they haven't bothered with any coverage on last nights game at Torquay. Sign of things to come?

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
I notice they haven't bothered with any coverage on last nights game at Torquay. Sign of things to come?
The report will probably be in tomorrow's edition. They are coming 36 hours+ after the match now, rather than 12+ and, yes, you're right, that will be the norm now I think.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
The report will probably be in tomorrow's edition. They are coming 36 hours+ after the match now, rather than 12+ and, yes, you're right, that will be the norm now I think.
That'll be the norm for pre-season friendlies and the like but I'm fairly certain they'll get an extension to their print deadline for any League One games.

Bondy

Exeter - views are my own and not representative o
How they can't file a report from Torquay for a game that finishes before 10pm for publication the next day is beyond me. I'm only glad I was there so don't have to wait 36 hours or rely on the usually polarised opinions on here

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
How they can't file a report from Torquay for a game that finishes before 10pm for publication the next day is beyond me. I'm only glad I was there so don't have to wait 36 hours or rely on the usually polarised opinions on here
Because the paper has a print slot, in Oxfordshire, several hours earlier than that.

MickStagraget

IIRC PSFs have been delayed reports for a long time, not that new a development. By the time the season rolls round they usually sort out the printing time so that they can get the reports in.

Not that uncommon either, it wasn't until a few years back (when it moved to tabloid size) that The Times started printing match reviews from games held on the previous night, even for premiership and CL games.

Last edited:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Because the paper has a print slot, in Oxfordshire, several hours earlier than that.
I'm sure that's true but 98% of the match report could be written by 9.30 and emailed straight from the reporter's laptop to the newsroom (if there still is one). They only need to keep 1 par. for any last minute eventualities. Can be subbed and on the layout screen by 10pm for the print version and online by midnight, I would have thought.

They seem to want bloggers to do their match reporting for them these days, is the regional press going to turn into the Huffington Post?

Now the Herald is going weekly, guess the E&E will follow within a year. Then we'll only have the Western Morning Cornish Argyle News left.

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
It's a pity that having re-done the online version, they didn't sort out a mobile version. There's so much crap on their website that life is too short waiting for one of their pages to load.

t.a.f.k.a.g.g.

It surely won't be a daily paper for much longer sadly, so in future all your City match reports will appear in print the following Thursday. So enjoy the 36 hours you currently wait as it'll only get worse.

Torquay fans will presumably see a report on that game 8 days after it was played!