• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Echo

Oli

Very well known Exeweb poster
Now stay with me for a second while I try and justify this as ECFC related. The website has turned into a complete shambles and I understand quite a few locals have been let go. What is the actual rag like these days?

As much as I thought it was a heap of sh*t, I don't think there is any doubt that it has certainly helped us in the past. During the R+L days it gave the Trust publicity, I am sure it won an award for that too? It has been highly supportive over the years.

If (and I suspect it is only a matter of time) that it's days are numbered will we (ECFC) miss it? Will the WMN become the only Devon paper (with an East Devon edition) in order to save money. I am not saying that we should save it, I would question why we should and I don't think we could even if we did want to. But is it a medium that ECFC needs?

Pete Martin (CTID)

Imo it has gone progressively downhill over time to the point where I now think "what's the point?"

Today there was a news item on a local murder which was virtually word for word the same as the copy printed on Saturday. It will disappear I am certain. Footie reports now appear 48 hours after the event rather than 24. Rubbish!

i8cornwall

it has gone in line with the same as few local paper in devon, the western morning news is rather the same as the herald in plymouth these days (not living in Exeter i don't read the echo) its just easy journalism and saved money.

most papers days are numbered just the way of the world i am afraid

Bondy

Exeter - views are my own and not representative o
I heard a couple of years ago that revenue from Exeter City fans virtually keeps it afloat

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've heard that the Herald Express inTorquay has gone weekly is this the future of the echo?

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
For all its faults, I always check it out online to keep up to date with what's happening in the city and its surrounds. Not having lived in Exeter for some years now, whenever I'm in town I always buy a copy - it seems the right thing to do.

I heard a couple of years ago that revenue from Exeter City fans virtually keeps it afloat
This is a very good point. When I think about it I buy the Echo every day and only because of the City stuff really. I suspect there are many City / Chief's fans like me.
Recently I've also noticed that a lot of what is written about City is taken verbatim from other articles that I've already read online or interviews I've already heard on the radio.
I do think in the fullness of time the Echo will move to a weekly publication.

Oli

I guess I see the online content as so poor that it becomes less important to visit their site.

Grecian_Jay

Depends what you want from it. If you want an average local paper to read then it's fine. If you are looking for a highly intellectual document with cutting edge articles you are going to be sadly dissapointed.

At the end of the day it is a cheap daily local paper and it lives up to that.

I have it on very good authority that within the next 6-8 months the Echo will become a weekly publication like the Herald Express. It has now become a morning paper like the WMN and actually repeats what is in that paper word for word. It is a shame but this is the way the world is going. The Echo has been part of our lives for years-I can remember waiting in Ottery for the last bus on Saturdays when City were away to get a copy of the Football Final. You got a report of the first half but very little on the second half due to the print deadline-happy days!