• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Thanks Matt Jay

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's obviously a 'heart wants to stay but head faces up to reality' moment so it was a sad interview to watch.
One of my favourite players from his youth days right up to him hustling against Portsmouth on Boxing Day.

Despite his disappointment at leaving you just know he'll really apply himself at Colchester - that's the type of bloke he is.

Hope he does really well.

Bat Fastard

MJ clearly emotional at times during the interview and I must admit to having a little bit of dust in my eye as well - such a great ambassador for the club and so many great memories on the pitch.

Not sure this departure is all down to the change of manager as he wasn't being picked under Matt Taylor either and if anything the new manager has given him a few more chances. I guess it came down to the fact that Gary Caldwell wasn't prepared to commit to a new contract yet until he'd seen how much MJ played for the rest of the season and MJ took the security of a long-term contract elsewhere.
yeah you are probably right, hadn't watched right to the end at that point, but he mentions the club wanting to have held on to him but he needed more opportunities. Sad day, but probably best for everyone at this moment in time! could do with getting another striker in now I reckon though - if nombe picks up another knock we've only got stansfield who offers loads but isn't a natural finisher yet

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
MJ clearly emotional at times during the interview and I must admit to having a little bit of dust in my eye as well - such a great ambassador for the club and so many great memories on the pitch.

Not sure this departure is all down to the change of manager as he wasn't being picked under Matt Taylor either and if anything the new manager has given him a few more chances. I guess it came down to the fact that Gary Caldwell wasn't prepared to commit to a new contract yet until he'd seen how much MJ played for the rest of the season and MJ took the security of a long-term contract elsewhere.
Agree with all of this and well said. GC probably actually played MJ more than MT was prepared to this season. MJ was told at the start of the season by MT that he wasn't going to be involved much this year.

MJ would probably of had to have taken a pay-cut to get a new contract with us and wasn't going to be guaranteed being a first team regular so it makes sense for everyone in all honesty. He will forever be a legend for captaining his boyhood team, and scoring the goal that got us promoted, meaning he leaves on a high!

Sad to see him move on, but proud that the club have done this in the right way and his 'exit' video by the social media team is excellent and shows what we are about as a club.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
You'd be hard pushed to find another footballer who comes across as such a nice bloke as Matt Jay.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good luck to Matt. Has done great things for us and always gave 100%.

Fareham Grecian

No I doubt it, would be interesting if we were to know if MT had a choice of clubs. I'd expect most league two teams to be interested if the opportunity was there
I think it was a joke, as you presumably meant MJ when you typed MT. And you’ve just done it again 🤣

DJG.ECFC

Surely he could of got a better move than Colchester, a declining plastic club with no fans sitting 20th in league two.

Best of luck tho Matt, top bloke and Exeter through and through, thanks for the memories 🔴⚪

Average Joe

I think it was a joke, as you presumably meant MJ when you typed MT. And you’ve just done it again 🤣
It was a typo. My apology for the confusion, I'm thinking way ahead of myself. Shouldn't be too long before with talk about MT and a lower league two club though.

CWH-NYC_

Top bloke, good for all parties I fancy, will be watching him keep them up.
Best of luck from me.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
All the best Matt and thank you for your service I am sure you will be a hit at Colchester