• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Thanks Matt Jay

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Given you were very quick to dismiss MJ as being capable of playing at League One level, while you’re very happy to give James Scott the benefit of the doubt, a quick question for you Saint: who do you think would have been more effective playing up front alongside Sam on Friday, Scott or Jay?! *Honest answers only*
Both would have been equally ineffective on Friday. However, only one of the two has the potential to be a regular player at L1 level imo

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Both would have been equally ineffective on Friday. However, only one of the two has the potential to be a regular player at L1 level imo
Fair enough, but, assuming you think that's Scott, odd that the player stepping down from the Championship is seemingly quite so far off the pace.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fair enough, but, assuming you think that's Scott, odd that the player stepping down from the Championship is seemingly quite so far off the pace.
There are clear issues with Scott’s fitness and he appears to be carrying excess timber. I believe he had an injury shortly before we signed him. However, these are issues that can be rectified after a full pre season. With MJ both Matt Taylor and Caldwell concluded he wasnt L1 level. Scott has the potential given the large fee paid for him and our model relies on picking up players like Nombe, Mitchell snd Scott who have potential for getting their careers back on track. For me its too premature to right Scott off but two managers both concluded the same about MJ

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
In October 21 Scott was slated by his then manager for ‘not being fit enough’.

In the above interview, which took place some seven months later, Scott himself acknowledges that he ‘put a bit of weight on’ and that it wasn’t until the last two weeks of the season that he started to turn things around.

From thereon in, as far as I can ascertain, Scott had an issue with his shin splints pre season but has otherwise been injury free.

This being the case, I’m not entirely clear why his fitness, or lack of, should be such a problem. After all, Kevin McDonald is considerably older, has had a kidney transplant, and, like Scott, hadn’t played since May when he joined us, but doesn’t seem to be having the same issues.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Odder, still, that this is being discussed on an MJ thread

MJ wasn’t even a proper forward/no.9 so comparison with Scott is a total waste of time even if he turns out to be cr@p

Jay - never good enough for League 1 and over 12 months + of dross for us (Barrow goal notwithstanding)

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Odder, still, that this is being discussed on an MJ thread

MJ wasn’t even a proper forward/no.9 so comparison with Scott is a total waste of time even if he turns out to be cr@p

Jay - never good enough for League 1 and over 12 months + of dross for us (Barrow goal notwithstanding)
I tend to agree. MJ was not a striker and couldn't be expected to lead our line. He was a decent player if you were controlling the middle of the park, but in L1, he would generally be described as "a luxury player". We made the right choice to sell.

budegrecian

After not getting off the bench on Friday, had to make do with a second half substitute appearance today.

Bridgy 81

I don’t know why we’re still speaking about and in most cases denigrating Matt.
He was a good player for us and I’m grateful for that.
He was our promotion captain.
He’s done what he presumably thinks is best for his career by moving to Colchester.
I hope he’s successful there.

Bridgy 81

Whilst I was driving today I heard an advert on the car radio for the forthcoming MJ musical in the West End.
I presume he’ll need Tuesdays and Saturdays off if he’s still turning out for Colchester.
Nice to hear though that he’s thinking beyond his footballing career.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oh Purlease! It's not even a contest.
Really………MJ would never have got himself involved in the same situation as Brown