• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Thank you Pierce Sweeney!!! (To Swindon Town and now Exeter)

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
There is nothing to say that the "family commitments" is anything to do with finances but everyone is presuming it is which is hardly surprising given what is happening at Swindon.
the thing that has surprised me is that, if it is solely about Swindon's finances then why has Sweenz narrowed his options by saying he needs to be in Exeter?

(unless he's got something already lined up and/or doesn't mind changing his destination. MT will know that that can happen!)

logman

We need to improve on what we had and IMO Sweeney was one of the weaker players despite a couple of match winners. He wanted out which proved his heart wasn't in Exeter City so no, don't take him back.

Philecfc

I would welcome him back after the way he was treated last summer and stayed to prove he is a good right sided defender in a back three. MT offered him a contract but Swindon I assume offered more so with a short career you have to make it while you can. But I think his heart is with our club and he will give 100% evertime he players for us

StudentGrecian

For me it depends on what MT is still looking to bring in. If we are going with Stubbs(/Ray) + Hartridge as our main CB's then he would be a decent squad player. But if we are still looking at a 'marquee' CB then we should save the wages, we don't want to block the pathways for the youngsters to get some game time by pushing them way down the pecking order.

IndoMike

You were moaning like a person on heat last week about releasing too many of our senior players and now there might be an outside chance (for whatever reason) that he might come back on the deal originally offered to him by Matt Taylor you're going to turn your nose up. You can't have your cake and eat it springs to mind Michael. Didn't you say 'better the devil you know' or words to that effect?
But the difference is Sweeney chose to leave City even though we offered him a contract. We can't take players back just because they leave, sign with another club and then decide they want to come back again. THAT is having your cake and eat it.
As usual Harris you totally miss the point.
I supported Sweeney staying until he decided to leave. Get it?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Over hype for an average player.

If he was looking to go elsewhere in the first instance he's hardly an attractive target.

I'd much rather have an upcoming talent like Rowe who will hopefully get better with age.

Sweeney will not get any better.
We already have the upcoming talent. What we lack are experienced players to help them develop. To me the fact that Pierce is already settled in the area and knows how the club works are significant advantages.

Pobbop

Over hype for an average player.

If he was looking to go elsewhere in the first instance he's hardly an attractive target.

I'd much rather have an upcoming talent like Rowe who will hopefully get better with age.

Sweeney will not get any better.
I don't think there's that much over-hype, most of us are saying we'd have him if no-one better was lined up, not exactly calling him the new Bobby Moore, or even Shaun Taylor TBH.

Trapdoor

He's a good squad player. Let's not allow emotion or perceived slight to get in the way of things. It's just business. Offer him a "competitive" contract, see what he says.

IndoMike

But the fact is he wanted to leave. Is it a good idea to invite back a player who wanted to seek new horizons but only wants to return because there is nothing better for him? He had months to make a decision and decided to leave. Since then we have signed a bloke to cover for Sweenz position. Should we tell that bloke to eff off back to Tranmere?
I know people will think my view is too harsh, but we've been a soft touch for years.

PS. This of course is hypothetical : Sweenz might not want to rejoin City.
😆

Last edited:

Red Devon

For me it depends on what MT is still looking to bring in. If we are going with Stubbs(/Ray) + Hartridge as our main CB's then he would be a decent squad player. But if we are still looking at a 'marquee' CB then we should save the wages, we don't want to block the pathways for the youngsters to get some game time by pushing them way down the pecking order.
Big question marks over Stubbs still, it wouldn’t be a surprise if he never plays a game for the club the way it’s going with him. Hartridge made great strides last season and would hope he can be a starter right from the off this year (got to make the most of that long throw) I can’t see Ray being much more than a squad player anyway.