• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Thank you Pierce Sweeney!!! (To Swindon Town and now Exeter)

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Despite the good will towards Sweenz and kindheartedness, recent posts explain just why we will always be stuck in Div 2.
Yes, Sweenz is a lovely fellah, but what we need is players that can regularly score 7/7.5 ratings. We need to be much more professional and pragmatic, not sentimental. I thought we were aiming high this season, or is mediocrity our benchmark?
I'd prefer to get rid of first choice players *after* we have better players rather than before.

The trouble has been that, no matter what words used or players signed, MT eventually concludes that Sweeney is the least worst option and he plays 40 games a season.

To replace /challenge Sweeney MT has signed Jimmy Oates (released after 0 games) Gary Warren (released without starting a league game) Aaron Martin (good signing but banished for lengthy period and then released) Jake Caprice (given Sweeney's number two shirt, ends the season out of the team with Sweeney in it) Rory McArdle (likewise ends up as cover for Sweeney). Even Tom Parkes ended up out of the team with Sweeney in it.

So of course a 'difference maker' would be a good signing and preferable but until then.....

IndoMike

From the McArdle thread:

I do believe Sweeney ticks every one of those boxes. Also he gives us a known flexibility to being able to play three at the back so his being here gives us tactical options. We know he's a good character to have in the dressing room. He takes a mean penalty if Matt Jay isn't available. Last season he proved he could be solid and dependable which was why he was offered a new contract by Taylor.
But I wasn't moaning. I was just stating the facts, Harris. But I will definitely be moaning big time if end up with a small squad and/or a lower quality squad.
(....to be continued).

IndoMike

The dod
I'd prefer to get rid of first choice players *after* we have better players rather than before.

The trouble has been that, no matter what words used or players signed, MT eventually concludes that Sweeney is the least worst option and he plays 40 games a season.

To replace /challenge Sweeney MT has signed Jimmy Oates (released after 0 games) Gary Warren (released without starting a league game) Aaron Martin (good signing but banished for lengthy period and then released) Jake Caprice (given Sweeney's number two shirt, ends the season out of the team with Sweeney in it) Rory McArdle (likewise ends up as cover for Sweeney). Even Tom Parkes ended up out of the team with Sweeney in it.

So of course a 'difference maker' would be a good signing and preferable but until then.....
Bringing in the difference makers does not depend on whether Sweenz rejoins City or not. I just hope these signings come along soon, otherwise it will make a mockery of Matt's interview. City fans are too used to accepting any old thing. We have a lot of money to bring in quality players and yet people are obsessing about Sweenz. He has been part of a team that has failed for 3 years. He's a bog standard Div 2 player who has an occasional good day. Sweenz is not the future of City.
And nobody responded to the point I made about the signing of the new bloke from Tranmere. I guess he was signed to cover for Stubbs. So if Sweenz came back then the signing of the Tranmere bloke would have been a waste of money.

grecIAN Harris

But I wasn't moaning. I was just stating the facts, Harris. But I will definitely be moaning big time if end up with a small squad and/or a lower quality squad.
(....to be continued).
Duck it anyway you like, you had concerns when the likes of Sweeney were released and now you're concerned he might be coming back. You change direction more times than my Missus on a shopping trip in London.

IndoMike

Duck it anyway you like, you had concerns when the likes of Sweeney were released and now you're concerned he might be coming back. You change direction more times than my Missus on a shopping trip in London.
If you can't understand a simple concept that I have already explained to you three times, there's not much I can do about it.
I'll try to make my next post one - dimensional.

grecIAN Harris

The dod

Bringing in the difference makers does not depend on whether Sweenz rejoins City or not. I just hope these signings come along soon, otherwise it will make a mockery of Matt's interview. City fans are too used to accepting any old thing. We have a lot of money to bring in quality players and yet people are obsessing about Sweenz. He has been part of a team that has failed for 3 years. He's a bog standard Div 2 player who has an occasional good day. Sweenz is not the future of City.
And nobody responded to the point I made about the signing of the new bloke from Tranmere. I guess he was signed to cover for Stubbs. So if Sweenz came back then the signing of the Tranmere bloke would have been a waste of money.
The new lad can play either side as a centre back, ie left or right centre back. If you need four strikers in a squad then you need at least four centre back, Hartridge, Stubbs, Ray and maybe Sweeney. I'd suggest that as there is a bigger chance of suspensions to go with injuries we need at least one more on top of that.

Smithyno6

50/50.
Can easily say he made his bed but we could sign a lot worse and unproven.
Or put the wages towards a more ‘marquee’ signing.

IndoMike

The new lad can play either side as a centre back, ie left or right centre back. If you need four strikers in a squad then you need at least four centre back, Hartridge, Stubbs, Ray and maybe Sweeney. I'd suggest that as there is a bigger chance of suspensions to go with injuries we need at least one more on top of that.
Isn't Dyer a centre back?

Reactions: Ash

ExmouthMart

Taylor probably only offered him a years contract, so he decided to go elsewhere. Poor judgement on his part then signing for Swindon in the middle of financial meltdown. Perhaps Torquay will offer him something if he wants to stay in Exeter. Had his chance with us and now we need to move on if we are to progress.

geoffwp

I think Mike must be of an age where he forgets what he had written a few weeks after. 😄
Personally I think all this 'not taking players back if they've turned down an offer and wanted to move' is garbage. A load of far too precious, 'oh he hurt my feelings' snowflake nonsense. I think the only factor in the decision should be is he good enough and will he benefit the team. My own opinion is yes on both counts.