• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Thank you Pierce Sweeney!!! (To Swindon Town and now Exeter)

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
But the difference is Sweeney chose to leave City even though we offered him a contract. We can't take players back just because they leave, sign with another club and then decide they want to come back again. THAT is having your cake and eat it.
As usual Harris you totally miss the point.
I supported Sweeney staying until he decided to leave. Get it?
And you moaned about all the senior players going, not having enough players in the squad etc etc and, at the moment, we still don't have enough senior players in the squad. All of your worries. As to 'we can't take him back', what utter nonsense particularly as we haven't replaced him yet. If it's mutually beneficial for both parties, why not? It's not like we let him go without offering a contract. Nothing has changed in Pierce Sweeny since that offer.

IndoMike

And you moaned about all the senior players going, not having enough players in the squad etc etc and, at the moment, we still don't have enough senior players in the squad. All of your worries. As to 'we can't take him back', what utter nonsense particularly as we haven't replaced him yet. If it's mutually beneficial for both parties, why not? It's not like we let him go without offering a contract. Nothing has changed in Pierce Sweeny since that offer.
I didn't moan about all the senior players going AT ALL. I agree with it. But if we don't replace them with same or better then obviously that's not good. I also said that it was a problem of numbers/ bodies too. If 12 leave and only 6 come in, what do we do? At the moment imo it's a concern that so few players have come in.
Please read my posts carefully rather than scanning them and jumping to wrong conclusions.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Over hype for an average player.

If he was looking to go elsewhere in the first instance he's hardly an attractive target.

I'd much rather have an upcoming talent like Rowe who will hopefully get better with age.

Sweeney will not get any better.
I'm not sure about that. Craig Woodman went through a phase with us later in his career when he went right down hill and I thought he was finished. He then seemed to get rejuvenated and chalked up 2-3 more seasons for us as a very good player.

denzel

Poor Sweenz, I feel quite sorry for him.

We aren't a charity but if it suits us to resign him them we should do so. We dont know what MT has yet to do in the way of targets, particularly in defence, so if he is better than, or provides cover for, what we have then it wouldn't be the worst thing to offer him a contract. That's if he wants to come back.
I cant imagine it's been an easy few months but at the end of the day he has done nothing wrong, and he is human with a family to look out for.

Bootroom

Personally I am here nor there on this… what I would say it’s easy to see it for what it is… but we all make mistakes right? Maybe his decision to leave was because of how he felt he was treated and also his best mate leaving.

I for one have previously left a workplace only to return 6 months later and held my hands up to say it was the wrong decision. Employer who took me back was happy to have me back and they got an even better version and harder working me. Hopefully if Pierce is wanted then we can make it work and we may get an even better Pierce

I hope he can come back as with all of these transfer dealing this summer and many senior players leaving, I believe we are short of experienced heads in the camp… Pierce knows the club inside and out and could be key for leadership as well as a player.

fred binneys head

What bootroom said. I was sorry to see pierce go as a character but not overly sorry to see him go as a player, as I felt we could do better and needed to if we wanted promotion. However, he wasn’t a bad player and if he returns fired up to show us what he can do (given the circumstances of him being here) then I’d be happy to give him a second chance.

IndoMike

Despite the good will towards Sweenz and kindheartedness, recent posts explain just why we will always be stuck in Div 2.
Yes, Sweenz is a lovely fellah, but what we need is players that can regularly score 7/7.5 ratings. We need to be much more professional and pragmatic, not sentimental. I thought we were aiming high this season, or is mediocrity our benchmark?

ecfc2000

I'm not sure about that. Craig Woodman went through a phase with us later in his career when he went right down hill and I thought he was finished. He then seemed to get rejuvenated and chalked up 2-3 more seasons for us as a very good player.
Woody was outstanding when he featured for us in his last 2 seasons with the club. I was hugely disappointed to see him leave.

grecIAN Harris

I didn't moan about all the senior players going AT ALL. I agree with it. But if we don't replace them with same or better then obviously that's not good. I also said that it was a problem of numbers/ bodies too. If 12 leave and only 6 come in, what do we do? At the moment imo it's a concern that so few players have come in.
Please read my posts carefully rather than scanning them and jumping to wrong conclusions.
From the McArdle thread:
You don't get it. It's not about any one individual : it's about leaving us short of bodies.
Some of the ones that have gone would have been useful cover. So now we have to buy a dozen players better than them and have cover, too. If we're just swapping like for like then in some cases it's better to keep the devil you know.
With a whole load of new players coming in it could be another transition season.
I do believe Sweeney ticks every one of those boxes. Also he gives us a known flexibility to being able to play three at the back so his being here gives us tactical options. We know he's a good character to have in the dressing room. He takes a mean penalty if Matt Jay isn't available. Last season he proved he could be solid and dependable which was why he was offered a new contract by Taylor.

Memphis09

Despite the good will towards Sweenz and kindheartedness, recent posts explain just why we will always be stuck in Div 2.
Yes, Sweenz is a lovely fellah, but what we need is players that can regularly score 7/7.5 ratings. We need to be much more professional and pragmatic, not sentimental. I thought we were aiming high this season, or is mediocrity our benchmark?
So do I but where are the signings to improve the squad