• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Telford United

David Treharne

There are several other Exeter City connections with Telford, not the least being that Chris Wickens (who was a Trustee at the time) and I went to Telford for the inaugural meeting of their Trust- and we were subsequently mentioned in their Trust 'Hall of Fame'. I was reminded of the event last week when I met David Wright the MP for Telford who chaired that meeting. It's a tidy little ground, and the Club is well organised, and looks well equipped to survive in Conference National.
We also had an ex-physio who ended up there as well........

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have got the highlights of that game,complete with commentary from Conference TV(only watched it once..:D...)They had a pretty good team iirc with a sprinking of top flight players on silly money,which came back to bit them on the bum...The Grecians were intrested in signing former Gashead Trevor Challis,but were never in with a chance,due to the money that the player wanted...Telford could afford him at that time & i remember Eamon Dolan saying that it would be difficult attracting players for the money the Grecians could offer & that other club managers at that level were doing their best to make it awkward for him to sign anyone...Dark days,which seem a million miles away now.
I remember they had Sam Ricketts playing for them too when we went there who went on to earn full Welsh International caps and plys his trade for Bolton now.

In answer to your pub question Les, I didnt drink at Telford as I didnt get there until 10 mins before kick off. Was stopping at my Mums in Stoke so drove down with my Sister and the traffic was bloody horrendous in Salop.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
In answer to your pub question Les, I didnt drink at Telford as I didnt get there until 10 mins before kick off. Was stopping at my Mums in Stoke so drove down with my Sister and the traffic was bloody horrendous in Salop.
I left at 9-00am even though it was a 7-30pm KO..Dan & i went to North Wales for a sunny day out....With time to kill i even visited a very 1970's shopping centre in Telford...:D..Thats how early i got there...Yawn....

Shrewsbury are the main rivials & of course they were in the Conference that season...The Shrews ran a Steam hauled football 'special' to Telford that season.The first time a football 'special' had been hauled by steam locomotion since 1966...There you go,a pub quiz question..:D..

ps With RaWZ's contacts on the West Somerset Railway....You never knoe..;)

Last edited:

Grecian2K

ps With RaWZ's contacts on the West Somerset Railway....You never knoe..;)
Put ME down for that particular "RaWZtour" perleeze [y] :)

(And could we make it either:
The Monkey Hangers Perhaps we could have a "King" or "Castle" as far as BTM, a "Jubilee" or "Patriot" from there to Sheffield, and an A3 or A4 the rest of the way
or
Carlisle: Ditto to BTM,with a Jub or Pat to New Street and then a "Coronation" 4-6-2 from all the way over Shap to "Scotland"!)

Oh, sorry forgot. The RaWZ "don't to kettles", does he ;)

Last edited:
A bit like when we played at Tamworth last season. Any decent pubs nearby RaWZ?
Les as I live 10 minutes from the ground I can let you know that the pub that the ground is named after is still there but unfortunately it is a youth club and therefore doesn't sell alcohol.
The nearest pubs are the Swan and the C*ck Hotel just up from the ground. I haven't drank in either so I am not sure what they are like. Apart from that the nearest pubs would be in the centre of Wellington

Hopefully I will be attending a few more games next season and I will keep an eye on your fixture, if it doesn't clash with any of the oop North fixtures for city (more next season then this!) then I will be there

Oldsmobile-88

Les as I live 10 minutes from the ground I can let you know that the pub that the ground is named after is still there but unfortunately it is a youth club and therefore doesn't sell alcohol.
Another one bites the dust..That pub had a cracking beer garden......