• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread

robchave

We have just bust a gut to get promoted to league one from league two. We all know that standards are substantially higher in league one and that we will need a core of better players to compete and survive there. As yet we have signed no-one who reflects this given. Have we tried and failed for all kinds of reason or have we assumed we can make do with what we have? Why is it preposterous to know which it is?
As it see it there are two ways that you build a team for a higher division. You either bring in players, on short term cohtracts and high wages, who are really good at playing in the lower division and, once you get promotion, you move them on and bring in players suitable for the higher division, OR
You bring in players, on longer contracts, reasonable wages and promotion bonuses, who you think could play in the higher division. Once they get you promoted, you already have the core of your squad. You add a bit of quality and know-how to make sure you can compete in the higher division.
It is obvious that we have been following the second route but have, for whatever reason, as yet been unable to land the additional players.
It's frustrating for all concerned BUT there still just under six weeks to go in this transfer window.

Last edited:

Matt Russell

I am neither a complete idiot or a troll. If the painfully obvious answer is a) we have failed to sign those that we wanted to, for whatever reason or b)we decided to stick with what we have then just fecking well tell us. we shouldn’t need 2000+ posts to establish the truth.
#2114 answers your question. Please read it.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I am neither a complete idiot or a troll. If the painfully obvious answer is a) we have failed to sign those that we wanted to, for whatever reason or b)we decided to stick with what we have then just fecking well tell us. we shouldn’t need 2000+ posts to establish the truth.
Well you are certainly continuing to make yourself look like one or the other ! :p

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
The club are obviously trying to sign players and MT has come out and said that, and also said we have missed out on a lot. I have no inside knowledge on what our budget actually is, but it obviously isn't at a level which has helped us to compete in the transfer market to date. That is also no shape or form a criticism of our board as i trust that they give MT the best budget they possibly can while looking after the interests of the club both short and long term.

Am I slightly underwhelmed that this transfer market has been non-existent to date......yes. However; I trust that everyone behind the scenes is working their hardest for the club despite the challenges we are faced.

I'm still hoping we will see some signings that will help us within the next 7-10 days, and share some of the frustration that people have on here, but I don't direct it at those closest to the club who I know do everything they can to try and make our club as successful as it can be.

If you have such big concerns make the effort to attend the fans forum tomorrow. MT has said he will answer any questions honestly, so it would be a great time to actually air your concerns and frustrations.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
No, I don’t think anyone at the club planned for league one in the sense that we needed better equipped players in key positions and that we would need to pay the going rate to bring that about. We’ve been here before and we’ll rattle around the bottom of league one for a season or two before returning diminished to league 2. After many years I can almost accept the reality of this but I just wish the club could and would provide evidence that they’ve made a stab at making things better. The secret squirrel non communication process is really tiresome.
So if MT said we wanted to sign 'X' but he chose League Two Mansfield, because they offered more money, you would be satiated?

What difference would it make naming the players we've missed out on?

cannockred

OK I'll bite.
Matt has already said we have missed out on players who decided to go elsewhere.
Trampus is right. That €20 euro offer for messi fell through at the last minute when he decided he was staying at PSG. No thoughts about the future from city.........😂

He's either a former employee or a jilted lover🤔

cannockred

[QUOTE="Trampus,
I am neither a complete idiot or a troll.
[/QUOTE]
Which bit are you missing, we'll have a whip round.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
We have just bust a gut to get promoted to league one from league two. We all know that standards are substantially higher in league one and that we will need a core of better players to compete and survive there. As yet we have signed no-one who reflects this given. Have we tried and failed for all kinds of reason or have we assumed we can make do with what we have? Why is it preposterous to know which it is?
If we'd been in League One for three years and signed a couple of players from a newly-promoted League One side everyone would be delighted. Well guess what, we've got a squad full of young players who have played at the top-end of League Two for a few years.

Agent Andy

Give a clue then to at least show you are as much in the know as you claim......don't want you getting a reputation like our very own intheknow!! 😂 😂

Agent Andy

I’ve never claimed I’m in the know , just got contacts that are 👍