• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread 2023

Snowy6

Right, new week. What day is transfer deadline day this week?
Yesterday

jimmy

Any surprise free agents out there still without a club? Not saying we will sign another, just curious.

Connor Wickham mentioned several times on this thread.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Strange how a player with Wickhams experience still hasn't a berth somewhere

Andy Holloway

Too much £££££ required possibly?

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
injury prone and possibly still expects too big a wedge

Phil Sayers

I had high hopes for Sonny Cox but he isn't showing the progress needed to hold on to a first team shirt. Currently he looks no better than Ben Seymour but hopefully he will soon fulfil the potential promised.
Agreed - he gets in some good positions, works hard and makes decent runs but Seymour did those things too. The main problem with Cox is that he gets brushed off the ball far too easily. He needs to build strength and show a bit more aggression when challenging defenders. Do those things and I think he will turn out great but if not he won't fulfil anything like the potential he was thought to have.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agreed - he gets in some good positions, works hard and makes decent runs but Seymour did those things too. The main problem with Cox is that he gets brushed off the ball far too easily. He needs to build strength and show a bit more aggression when challenging defenders. Do those things and I think he will turn out great but if not he won't fulfil anything like the potential he was thought to have.
He didn't seem to get brushed off the ball that easily when he set up a goal against Crawley or when blocking off the defender for to allow Demi to score goal against Carlisle. And anyway, the kid's 18, being played slightly out of position and only starting games because of an injury crisis so maybe we shouldn't be rushing to judgement just yet. It reminds me of the story Gary Caldwell tells about playing for Darlington on loan and getting absolutely battered by Steve Torpey in one of his first games; they lost 7-1 but thankfully no-one wrote him off based on that performance and, having learned a few lessons from the experience, went on to have a pretty good career.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
He didn't seem to get brushed off the ball that easily when he set up a goal against Crawley or when blocking off the defender for to allow Demi to score goal against Carlisle. And anyway, the kid's 18, being played slightly out of position and only starting games because of an injury crisis so maybe we shouldn't be rushing to judgement just yet. Watching Sonny getting schooled by Omar Beckles last week reminded me of the story Gary Caldwell tells about playing for Darlington on loan and getting absolutely battered by Steve Torpey in one of his first games; they lost 7-1 but thankfully no-one wrote him off based on that performance and, having learned a few lessons from the experience, went on to have a pretty good career.

Rosencrantz

He didn't seem to get brushed off the ball that easily when he set up a goal against Crawley or when blocking off the defender for to allow Demi to score goal against Carlisle. And anyway, the kid's 18, being played slightly out of position and only starting games because of an injury crisis so maybe we shouldn't be rushing to judgement just yet. It reminds me of the story Gary Caldwell tells about playing for Darlington on loan and getting absolutely battered by Steve Torpey in one of his first games; they lost 7-1 but thankfully no-one wrote him off based on that performance and, having learned a few lessons from the experience, went on to have a pretty good career.
Plenty of defenders for battered by Steve Torpey over the years. I think it was Jamie Campbell who felt the sharp end of his elbow in that game at Scunthorpe back in 2001 we needed to win to ensure safety for another year. Torpey saw red, Christian (TMC) Roberts scored soon after and we ended up winning 2-0. A rare happy away day back then.

Ex-ciderrr

Plenty of defenders for battered by Steve Torpey over the years. I think it was Jamie Campbell who felt the sharp end of his elbow in that game at Scunthorpe back in 2001 we needed to win to ensure safety for another year. Torpey saw red, Christian (TMC) Roberts scored soon after and we ended up winning 2-0. A rare happy away day back then.
Those were the days! If Christian Roberts didn’t score we probably didn’t win many :LOL: cracking footballer though really enjoyed him at ECFC