• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

State of Play now the Window's Shut.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
The saleable assets and emergence of players like Diabate are not solely down to MT and would still happen with another manager in charge as the off field structure at the club, especially the academy, is pretty good.
MT is the first team coach/manager and this is his main responsibility. Not being promoted either via the play offs or autos after 4 years tells me it's time for someone else to have a go. The saleable assets and academy will continue to thrive.
Very true Snoop, IF someone new came in they'd be told at any interview how the club is run, What the Academy means and how it helps the club financally and any new person coming in from the outside would have to accept this if they were offered the job of first team coach/manager.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Very true Snoop, IF someone new came in they'd be told at any interview how the club is run, What the Academy means and how it helps the club financally and any new person coming in from the outside would have to accept this if they were offered the job of first team coach/manager.
I would imagine they'd already know about our structure and academy etc, and if they didn't they shouldn't really be applying for the job. It's more than just accepting it, they need to believe in it and have the skills to drive it forward, and change and improve it for the better. Standing still is a very quick way of moving backwards.

DB9

I would imagine they'd already know about our structure and academy etc, and if they didn't they shouldn't really be applying for the job. It's more than just accepting it, they need to believe in it and have the skills to drive it forward, and change and improve it for the better. Standing still is a very quick way of moving backwards.
Agree with the standing still bit and yes any applicant should know and be into our ethos,

red1

I would think that if MT were to leave, there would be a huge list of Managers who would apply for the job.
Our Academy is renowned for its ongoing success and we are NOW known to be a well run football club. But I cant help thinking that anyone applying would be after a “safe job”.
When asked in a recent podcast if he was ever under pressure as manager of ECFC, he responded by saying that this was different to most clubs as he was answerable to a board of 12(i think its 12) people and not one man who, if he didnt like your management style or you had a few bad results you were under pressure or fired.
He also said that having 5 or 6 academy players in the same side was great for the club and academy, but when the rigours of league 2 start hitting home, it can be difficult to keep a consistency with the young players when they start struggling with form.
“But This is Exeter City” he keeps saying, almost like “what do you expect?”
I appreciate the ethos of the club and how well we have progressed from the dark days, but is it possible for the club to move forward with ambitions of higher leagues etc when the manager himself knows that his job is probably the safest seat in the lower leagues?

Banksy

Got a feeling this might be MT's last season with us whether we stay up or get promoted.
Yes , he’s got a say in it too we shouldn’t forget , but guess he’d like a promotion on his credentials before he goes.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Got a feeling this might be MT's last season with us whether we stay up or get promoted.
Disagree.

If we get promoted, he will rightly keep his job and will want to stay and keep us in League 1.

If we don't get promoted, he won't be sacked and where would he go? He will hardly be seen as hot property.

Antony Moxey

If we don't get promoted, he won't be sacked and where would he go? He will hardly be seen as hot property.
This is patently untrue. Only in football is failure rewarded - look at the managerial merry-go-round to see how many are sacked (not just on a whim, but those sacked who are truly appalling at club after club) yet resurface somewhere else usually only a couple of weeks later. I would suggest every manager is hot property, regardless entirely of their performance.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is patently untrue. Only in football is failure rewarded - look at the managerial merry-go-round to see how many are sacked (not just on a whim, but those sacked who are truly appalling at club after club) yet resurface somewhere else usually only a couple of weeks later. I would suggest every manager is hot property, regardless entirely of their performance.
I understand that and agree, however if MT was to walk away (he won't be sacked), I can't see him getting a better job than the one he has with us - therefore I can't see him walking away.

Trapdoor

I understand that and agree, however if MT was to walk away (he won't be sacked), I can't see him getting a better job than the one he has with us - therefore I can't see him walking away.
Look at Tisdale, he only realised how good he had it here after he left.

paperclip

Don't agree with that. He has just got married and bought a house in the area, so I very much doubt he is currently looking to up sticks and go anywhere else.