• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Starting eleven for next season

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Given who we have signed, and given Cox has also signed, what's the view on whether we will play a traditional 2 up front, and if we do would Jay be one of them or would he sit behind them as effectively an attacking midfielder,? and if so what would the rest of the midfield look like in terms of numbers?

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Given who we have signed, and given Cox has also signed, what's the view on whether we will play a traditional 2 up front, and if we do would Jay be one of them or would he sit behind them as effectively an attacking midfielder,? and if so what would the rest of the midfield look like in terms of numbers?
these are all really good questions (and they all caused me some difficulty in putting together my current first choice 11).

My guess is that as Brown is more of a creator than a scorer/striker that means we only have Nombe Seymour and Cox as strikers; and therefore will normally start with just one. However MT has said about using different formations, so the cop out is that we will chop and change line ups and formations.

NB I'm not surprised that others prefer Cox to Seymour. Personally I think (and I think MT thinks the same) that Cox is still a bit young/lacking in physicality to be playing much in the first team this summer. However, give it a few months....

Grecianpasty

Based on last seasons success with Jay playing behind Bowman, and Taylors comment on building a team around Nombe, I would imagine we will play a 4-2-3-1 formation or a less likely 3-5-2. Either way, Jay behind Nombe looks to me to be the way that Taylor will most likely line up.

Grecianpasty

GK
Key Ray Hartidge Rowe
Kite Collins
Randall Jay Brown
Nombe

Based on the players we currently have. I struggle to see where Sparkes will fit in. Also, whether Colley would fit into that system.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Looking back at the last couple of seasons I think it will depend on whether we want to play 3 or 4 at the back. Two seasons ago our default formation was three at the back with nominally 2 strikers, although as one of them was Lee Martin it's questionable whether this really was 2 up front. Last season we started off with 4 at the back so we could double up out wide but only play one striker and this worked really well when Randell and Randall were fit; when they were injured we sometimes tried to switch to 3 at the back to try and get an extra striker on the pitch but this never really worked, and not just because Seymour struggled to have an impact. For this season I think we will start with 3 at the back but the issue still is that Randall doesn't naturally fit into that system.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
GK
Key Ray Hartidge Rowe
Kite Collins
Randall Jay Brown
Nombe

Based on the players we currently have. I struggle to see where Sparkes will fit in. Also, whether Colley would fit into that system.
Playing 4-2-3-1 maybe, but if we play 3-5-2 then he can, but he would have to carry out some defensive duties in that formation
GK
Stubbs Ray Hartridge
Key Collins Jay Randall Sparkes
Nombe Brown

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Arthur
Key, Dyer, Hartridge, Sparkes
Iseguan, Collins, Kite, Randall
Jay
Seymour.
The all academy starting eleven is starting to look stronger and stronger.Five of them are probably first choice (Key, Randall, Hartridge, Collins, Jay) so I could easily see 7 or 8 of them playing a league game together at some point next season.

Lee
Key, Dyer, Hartridge, Sparkes
Iseguan, Collins, Kite, Randall
Jay
Seymour/ Cox

Corey

I wouldn’t mind seeing us play a 3-4-2-1 like so:

GK
Ray, Stubbs, Hartridge
Key, Collins, Kite, Sparkes
Jay, Randall
Nombe

Think in this way we’ve got all our best players playing in positions that would maximise their ability. Could also see Jevani Brown in behind Nombe which from what I know of him I think would suit him, and it would give Sparkes and Key a bit more freedom to attack as well which I like.

Boyo

4-3-3
GK
Caprice - Ray - Hartidge - Rowe
Key - Collins - Sparkes
Jay - Nombe - Randall

4-3-3
GK
Caprice - Ray - Hartidge - Rowe
Key - Collins - Sparkes
Jay - Nombe - Randall
Not sure how I feel about Sparkes playing a central role, has he done it before?