• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

St James Park Investments

Trapdoor

My only fear out of this is the pitch. We have rebuilt the pitch at huge expense many times before and after a few years it always seems to become unusable. What will be different this time? In terms of return on investment this topic does not have a good track record.
It either suggests some underlying problems or lack of investment in upkeep/maintenance.

Boyo

Can we assume that the purchase of the Old School Building will be for the same price paid in 1998?
It says that the group of people who purchased OTR will receive no return on their investment, so my assumption is the same price will be paid.

Andy_H

If i remember rightly, the scoreboard we had on trial some years ago was, at the time, quoted as being somewhere in the region of £56k to buy, please feel free to correct me if you KNOW it was anything different.
When you take into account the many uses for it, team news and phots, re-runs of goals from previous games against the opposition for that match, normal advertising of sponsors etc, 50/50 winners[people are always complaining that they didn't hear the numbers], attendance, in fact the list is almost endless. I'm sure that once in place, many other uses will be found that we can only dream about at this stage, like results from the Youth and Women's teams last games possibly.

Boyo

A scoreboard will pay for itself over time. Apart from the things that Hants mentioned, it will increase advertising revenue.
Will it? Or does it cannibalise existing channels? To create new revenue we need additional sponsors/advertisers, whilst maintaining existing price points for existing options.

Lots of people seem to want a scoreboard and if it improves fan experience, then that's a positive. I'm just not convinced that it's the cash cow that many assume.

Boyo

To add to the above you also need a lot of high quality content to make it look professional and someone to operate it on matchday. Also, there will be maintenance and upkeep costs.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Will the scoreboard show replays of goals etc?
It would have been broken this season !!!

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Advertising space can be sold to go onto the scoreboard. We should get a good return on that investment.
The trouble with trying to sell advertising space on a scoreboard is that it would almost certainly cannibalise revenue from the pitch-side boards. Unless you can find sufficient additional completely new advertisers but keep all the existing ones at the same rates. Not holding my breath.

(shows the risk of commenting without reading later threads, Boyo has already made the point)

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
It says that the group of people who purchased OTR will receive no return on their investment, so my assumption is the same price will be paid.
No return thus far, i.e. prior to this transaction.

The purchase / sale hasn't completed yet.

I imagine people will be making money somewhere.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
The trouble with trying to sell advertising space on a scoreboard is that it would almost certainly cannibalise revenue from the pitch-side boards. Unless you can find sufficient additional completely new advertisers but keep all the existing ones at the same rates. Not holding my breath.

(shows the risk of commenting without reading later threads, Boyo has already made the point)
I would imagine it does make it more attractive to an advertiser though if they get advertising space on both the existing as well as the new board. Keeping existing sponsors in the current climate is going to be hard therefore offering more is just as important.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would expect that the no return on investment referred to the monthly cost of financing the original purchase price. I think I have the documentation from the original deal somewhere..It would be somewhat unrealistic, although perfectly possible, for the building to be sold at cost..