• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

St James Park Investments

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
FWIW, on a personal level I'm pretty indifferent to a new hi-tec scoreboard.

At the same time, I'm always surprised by the number of people I come across – often entire families – who tell me how much they enjoy going to Sanday Park.

In many instances, I think it's fair to say these people aren't huge sports fans; rather they go for the 'experience'. Now I'm not suggesting a scoreboard alone will bring thousands of new fans flocking to SJP but, as part of a series of measures designed to ensure spectators derive the maximum possible enjoyment from their visits to SJP, it can only help.

For instance, I'm sure the majority of ExeWebbers can easily identify all our players, but what if you're not a regular at SJP? How good would it be if as Fullsy announces the team each of the player's mug shots appeared in turn on the screen? How quickly could we grow our social media audiences [with all the benefits that brings] if, say, at some point during the course of a Saturday afternoon / Tuesday evening the screen shared some #ECFC tweets from fans? How many people might be persuaded to join the Trust / or up their subscriptions if the scoreboard were to feature a video with someone such as Jake Taylor or Ollie Watkins tugging at the heartstrings?!

Of course, some may prefer that we splash the cash on a new striker, but in the medium to long-term a new scoreboard could, IMHO, be just as valuable an investment if it helps encourage a new generation of supporters to come along to the Park.

Last edited:

robchave

Presumably, the Big Screen would be capable of showing live events? Possibly we could stream concerts, live sports events etc. Another possible non-matchday income stream?

Red Bill

Presumably, the Big Screen would be capable of showing live events? Possibly we could stream concerts, live sports events etc. Another possible non-matchday income stream?
Stream concerts? !! is that really a thing? Who would pay to go and see a gig on a big telly? You may be re right I suppose, it's anathema to me but I expect someone might. What a sad place the world has become!

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Taggy says "the fans want it". Who did he ask ? Could the club or Trust not survey the fans to find out?

No one asked me.

Reactions: WXF

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Stream concerts? !! is that really a thing? Who would pay to go and see a gig on a big telly? You may be re right I suppose, it's anathema to me but I expect someone might. What a sad place the world has become!
Could screen away games 😉

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Moving on to the shop improvements for what it's worth, I am sure that they are needed and will prove worthwhile :whistle: ,as well as improve the matchday experience, however last Christmas on one of those rare ventures into the big metropolis, whilst shops were still open, The Egg Chasers had a mobile shop parked in Princesshay flogging merchandise etc. has anyone investigated this as a way forward as well, to promote our brand, not only in the city but around the local area, as the wife put it what a good idea for spontaneous Christmas shopping without having to traipse away from the city centre up to Old Tiverton Road at busy times of the year (Start of Season, Christmas, Cup runs etc)

cannockred

With the size of concert venues nowadays, its the only way for people to see the stars at anything larger than an ant. Friends of ours went to see fleetwood mac in newcastle, £110 per seat. I asked if they had decent views. Yes they said, we were sat just in front of the video screen!

Red Bill

With the size of concert venues nowadays, its the only way for people to see the stars at anything larger than an ant. Friends of ours went to see fleetwood mac in newcastle, £110 per seat. I asked if they had decent views. Yes they said, we were sat just in front of the video screen!
I wonder if you'd have swathes of people filming the on screen gig on their phones?
But seriously why bother? Why not just wait until a DVD comes out if they aren't bothered about seeing bands live. Luckily none of the bands I like play these massive venues, so apart from one gig at the O2 in London, all the crowd can see the band well. Everything's become so corporate these days, the actual experience of seeing bands isnt important anymore.

robchave

Not my thing either. But my point was that events could be screened on non-match days, as a way of increasing income. You could have a live concert in the stadium, relayed to the screen to improve atmosphere.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Another way of ruining the pitch, I fear, if boards and seats are put over it so people can see the screen.