• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sonny Cox

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Bat Fastard

Whilst many have been quick to write him off, let's not get too over the top now either.

He's shown great signs of improvement, but lets just let him continue to develop - there will be dips of form and good moments to come but the signs are promising.
Agree, couple of nicely taken goals but has looked anonymous in quite a few games this year. Good signs though

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree, couple of nicely taken goals but has looked anonymous in quite a few games this year. Good signs though
I think the nature of being a no 9 means there are games when you look anonymous, often only getting a few touches on the ball and having to take the 1 or 2 half chances you may get.

Whats impressed me is his rate of development. Towards the beginning of the season he looked a bit lost, and never influenced the game. Now he's involved even if he doesn't score. The more his confidence grows the better he'll become. If he can score 7 or 8 this season and 15 to 20 next season, then we'll get a record fee for him. Good young strikers go for a Premium.

I appreciate its early days and anything can happen, loss of form or serious injury and he could find himself back out on a non league loan again. However, keep up the good form and rate of development and we're looking at our first 2m plus player.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think you just want youth players coming through to show they can carry their strengths as young players through to senior football. It is those strengths that are the reason they are given the chance at pro football for. They do then have to develop other parts of their game so they can show those strengths can be effective at first team level whether it be physically, technically or mentally.

This can happen at different time scales. MJ took quite a while to prove effective at first team level. Matt Grimes took to it straight away. Most other players take somewhere in between.

We have a lot of youngsters who have proved they can score goals at youth level that have found the transition difficult. Ollie and MJ did to obviously different extents as did Jamie Reid albeit he had to go away and play a lot of games at a lower level before coming back to the EFL. Others over the years such as Ben Seymour, Warren Waugh, Sufyan Ghazghazi couldn't find a way of being effective. Players like Reinier Moor and Robert Speakman both showed they could score at first team level but didn't develop their all round game enough to make it as pro's. Jamie Mudge I feel might well have but left the pro game early for other reasons.

Sonny has possibly been pitched in a bit earlier than ideal. But he does look like he is showing a certain dedication and desire to make those improvements in his game that allows him to show his strengths, goal scoring. He still has a long way to go in developing his effectiveness as a forward, but that goalscoring ability is gold dust and we are starting to see that strength from youth football at first team level.

Langer

Think Sonny's dad runs a boxing club in Exmouth – Sweenz has mentioned in his column that the players have been there on one or two occasions – so would imagine the strength thing is something he's been working on.
A guy called Phil Cox worked next door to me 10 year ago he was retirement age then.I got friendly with him and he was a good standard boxer he showed me one of his old boxing promotional posters he was due to go in with Joe Bugner the bout never happened for some reason i wonder if it’s a relative.

Exehausted

A guy called Phil Cox worked next door to me 10 year ago he was retirement age then.I got friendly with him and he was a good standard boxer he showed me one of his old boxing promotional posters he was due to go in with Joe Bugner the bout never happened for some reason i wonder if it’s a relative.
Phil Cox is his Great Uncle and he's still alive and is eighty now. His Grandad was Chris Cox who passed away a couple of years ago. He was the more successful of the boxing brothers. Phil's career was cut short because of a damaged vertebrae in his neck. An injury he sustained in a car accident

Last edited:

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
If only we'd signed Bellingham too
Screenshot_20240319_124054_X.jpg

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I wonder if he was at Huish Park today and was able to join in their celebrations?

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I wonder if he was at Huish Park today and was able to join in their celebrations?
and will he get a Conference South title winners medal?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
and will he get a Conference South title winners medal?
I don't think he played enough games.