• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sonny Cox

Exehausted

Think Sonny's dad runs a boxing club in Exmouth – Sweenz has mentioned in his column that the players have been there on one or two occasions – so would imagine the strength thing is something he's been working on.
Yes his dad does run a boxing gym and he might well go there at night. However, I can't remember which player said it, but I'm sure one of them said that Sonny has been working separately from the team with the strength and conditioning coach at the Cliff Hill and it's showing real benefits.

Bridgy 81

Yes his dad does run a boxing gym and he might well go there at night. However, I can't remember which player said it, but I'm sure one of them said that Sonny has been working separately from the team with the strength and conditioning coach at the Cliff Hill and it's showing real benefits.
I like this level of determination and dedication from a young player.
To have the skill to be a professional footballer is one thing but to be prepared to apply yourself to the maximum of your ability is equally important.
It’s a great opportunity he has and it doesn’t look like he’s intending to waste it.
Carry on like this he’ll reap his rewards and he’ll deserve to as well.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bigger clubs will be queueing up to put their shirts on this boy, if he keeps on scoring goals like that.
I wonder whether Bolton will put him on their list of players to watch....

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wonder whether Bolton will put him on their list of players to watch....
no disrespect intended to Bolton but they aren't that big a club

Both Nat Lofthouse and Dick Pym will be turning in their graves!!

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Both Nat Lofthouse and Dick Pym will be turning in their graves!!
Kinda proves the point in that the halcyon days of Bolton are a long time ago. Sonny will I'm sure be looking to impress teams much higher up the pecking order than Bolton

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
I like this level of determination and dedication from a young player.
To have the skill to be a professional footballer is one thing but to be prepared to apply yourself to the maximum of your ability is equally important.

It’s a great opportunity he has and it doesn’t look like he’s intending to waste it.
Carry on like this he’ll reap his rewards and he’ll deserve to as well.
I agree.....and it's worth noting that Watkins was similar (and, by all accounts, still is).

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Have to say, I was harsh on Sonny earlier this season. After seeing him a number of times, I just didn’t think he had what it takes, particularly in L1.

In hindsight, thinking like that was pure lunacy! He was only 18/19 and thrown in the deep end due to our poor recruitment in the summer. Sorry Sonny.

As others have said, the way he took both goals on Saturday showed he has the class to become a massive player for us. And now we’ve tied him down to a new deal, he’s a massive asset to the club.

Geddon Sonny, love it.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whilst many have been quick to write him off, let's not get too over the top now either.

He's shown great signs of improvement, but lets just let him continue to develop - there will be dips of form and good moments to come but the signs are promising.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whilst many have been quick to write him off, let's not get too over the top now either.

He's shown great signs of improvement, but lets just let him continue to develop - there will be dips of form and good moments to come but the signs are promising.
Agreed, although it's hard not to get excited by the quality of those two goals. It's been clear for a while that he has the movement and instincts to potentially develop into a really good fox-in-the box goal poacher but I don't think many of us realised he had the ability to knock in long-range screamers as well.