• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

SJP redevelopment

Mike Blackstone

I bet the contractors are laughing, I can get a seat and a few bolts for a tenner :)
Probably buy a seat for less than that in Focus at the moment, if there are any left.

MickStagraget

I bet the contractors are laughing, I can get a seat and a few bolts for a tenner :)
Far from it, building stadiums is a mugs game. Look at Mowlems with us or Dean & Dyball for Sandy Parlk, both (from what I understand) made losses on the projects. This is pretty much the standard for building stadiums.

ecfc01

Far from it, building stadiums is a mugs game. Look at Mowlems with us or Dean & Dyball for Sandy Parlk, both (from what I understand) made losses on the projects. This is pretty much the standard for building stadiums.
So why do they do it?

MickStagraget

So why do they do it?
Because they think that they might be different, and it gives great exposure for publicity purposes. Or it could be because they're slow and need some kind of work, even if it's not a juicy contract.

Willy Nilly

Probably buy a seat for less than that in Focus at the moment, if there are any left.
Focus in Exeter has been stripped bare!

RobG

On the radio last night - Everything gone well so far and should start the work next year

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
On the radio last night - Everything gone well so far and should start the work next year
Ok....whats gone well, what work is going to start next year and exactly when?

Oldsmobile-88

Ok....whats gone well, what work is going to start next year and exactly when?
If it was the same report as was in the Echo.No one is any the wiser from 6 months ago.Mr Chorlton said things are going nicely,but there are still a few hurdles to overcome..
It was suggested that work might start in 2013,which i believe was the original intention.

Phil Sayers

It was suggested that work might start in 2013,which i believe was the original intention.
Fair play if it happens but that seems an extremely optimistic timetable to me and not just because the world is going to end in December.

Here we are in 2012 with no lease renewal, no developer on board - let alone one who will foot the entire bill - and no planning permission. That's not to say that a lot of hard work isn't going into it (I assume it is but don't know to what effect) but all of those things, and many more, need to be sorted long before work can start.

As I said great if it happens* but I would imagine that most similar developments would take a couple of years from the sort of preliminaries above being resolved until the JCBs move in. I would love it if an announcement is going to come out of the blue that all is set to go but if that isn't going to happen I do wonder whether Ed Chorlton might be better off, at least in terms of credibility, stating something like:

"These projects are very complex and unfortunately prone to slippage but we are working hard to get the various issues resolved and look forward to a fantastic new stadium. We have revised our timetable and now think starting building in 2015 is a realistic goal which we will do our utmost to achieve. We thank supporters for their continuing patience and, while we apologise for earlier indicating it might be sooner, trust that the wait will not be too long and the outcome more than worth it."

*And in which case I'll apologise and swallow some humble pie for being a doubting Thomas!

Boyo

The notes from the recent Grecian Groups suggested that the board was about to receive a redevelopment report of some description. Fingers crossed for good news and progress.