• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Shrewsbury Town v Exeter City Matchday Thread

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
We finished 14th with 56 points last season.
Our run in is very kind... it's possible to match this

spodman

If we finish 13th with 55 points have we improved or gone backward from last year?!! 🤔

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
If we finish 13th with 55 points have we improved or gone backward from last year?!! 🤔
Yes

fred binneys head

You can't have been watching that well then, Purrington passed the ball to their forward who would have scored apart from an excellent save from Sinisalo.
That was the one chance I said they had.

fred binneys head

They also had a decent chance early on (but after the red card) but their player, who'd done well to get into a goal scoring position, skied his shot.
That was the first half.

Grecian2K

A good day for our friend Bridgy though.
Both of his "local sides" with 3-0 away wins. (y)
Who'd have thunk it?

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's interesting how we look like we might be there or thereabouts relative to last season (if we have a half decent run-in), but last season felt (to me at least) really, really good. This season, for large spells we've looked like relegation fodder and other spells we've looked like we're miles off even competing. When we played Carlisle back in early January, we were quite close to each other on points. If I had to have guessed which side would be cast adrift at the bottom by now, I would have expected it would be more likely to have been us (especially considering their investment).

We've had some decent performances and picked up some wins, since, but overall, my impression of the season is it's been a massive, largely depressing struggle. Maybe it's partly because last year we saved up our run of bad form for the best teams in the league when the season was already done and no-one really got overly animated by it? Maybe it's just that we've played in a less exciting way this season? I don't know. If we match last season's points haul though, on paper at least, it's a bigger achievement than last year, given the departure of our 5 best players.

tonykellowfan

That was the one chance I said they had.
The chance you said they had was the free kick. That wasn't a free kick.

larrywilkie

Right, just going to catch up on comments from last night as I was working when the match was on. Must be all positive surely ? Let's see......................

Bat Fastard

It's interesting how we look like we might be there or thereabouts relative to last season (if we have a half decent run-in), but last season felt (to me at least) really, really good. This season, for large spells we've looked like relegation fodder and other spells we've looked like we're miles off even competing. When we played Carlisle back in early January, we were quite close to each other on points. If I had to have guessed which side would be cast adrift at the bottom by now, I would have expected it would be more likely to have been us (especially considering their investment).

We've had some decent performances and picked up some wins, since, but overall, my impression of the season is it's been a massive, largely depressing struggle. Maybe it's partly because last year we saved up our run of bad form for the best teams in the league when the season was already done and no-one really got overly animated by it? Maybe it's just that we've played in a less exciting way this season? I don't know. If we match last season's points haul though, on paper at least, it's a bigger achievement than last year, given the departure of our 5 best players.
good post, i think as you say it's the style of play and simply the fact last year we scored 64 goals (quite a few more than the teams around us in the table) vs only 32 so far this campaign. To my eyes the quality of the league was also higher last year which makes last years tally more impressive. If we can finish in a similar to spot as last year caldwell can consider it a successful season though, given the overhaul in players