• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Shrewsbury Town v Exeter City Matchday Thread

One thing to mention re Mo eisa, fasting currently (along with Cheick) so that may explain him looking off the pace. Hope so anyway. He needs a big end to the season

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
One thing to mention re Mo eisa, fasting currently (along with Cheick) so that may explain him looking off the pace. Hope so anyway. He needs a big end to the season
Well Ramadan lasts for another four weeks and the season will nearly be over by then.
I don't think it has affected Cheick before so it shouldn't affect team selection.

iscalad

Muslim athletes are used to it. Shouldn't really affect performance.

Grecian Max

Thank we would have won without the sending off, in fact I would have preferred to do it that way.
It's a bit disappointing that Shrewsbury, Burton and Cambridge could all survive in league 1. They all seem to be falling apart. Bottom four are gone.
Cheltenham, Vale and even Fleetwood have every chance of staying up, I don’t think they’re gone at all

I’m pretty confident there will be at least one different team from the current 4 that will go down, it’s the nature of the beast in this division with so many relegation spots

I agree that we would have won regardless last night - Shrewsbury are really bad. One of the worst sides we’ve played over the two games. Some proper dross in this division.

Spoonz Red E

Muslim athletes are used to it. Shouldn't really affect performance.
While this is true Cheick mentioned that the evening games are a bit tougher than the 3pm ones.
Also the fasting has just started so the body isn't into the rhythm yet.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Some are bemoaning our performance in the second half but, the thing is, we were 3-0 up at half time and after that it was mainly "game management". Now, I am from the generation when that phrase was never heard. You just kept trying to score, regardless. If you were 4-0 up you went hell for leather for the 5th.

Rightly, or wrongly, it's not like that today. I think there are arguments for and against. If you go 3-0 up, especially away from home, there is an argument for "possession football" rather than "going for it" with that scoreline. However, it cannot be claimed to be particularly entertaining for spectators.

Finally, Shrewsbury, last night, were exceptionally poor in my opinion. I very much doubt that last night's City second half tactics would have worked against a lot of teams playing on their own pitch. In our current predicament I think it unarguable that we used the right tactics.
I'd rather give ourselves the best opportunity to win on Saturday by resting a players instead of knackering ourselves out looking for a 4th or 5th goal last night.

Grecian Max

Wonder if short corners are something we can forget about for a bit

Grecian Max

I'd rather give ourselves the best opportunity to win on Saturday by resting a players instead of knackering ourselves out looking for a 4th or 5th goal last night.
Fair, and I do agree to an extent - however GD might be the difference maker and they were there for the taking IMO

arthur

I don't think our squad will attract many offers in the summer. I could see Hartridge and Kite leaving, but probably not for anything better than what they're getting at Exeter.
Both of them, and Diabate, are one injury (two in the case of Kite) away from being in the team and a chance to prove themselves. It might be worth their while having a meet up with Matt Jay and Sam Nombe

Last edited:

Exehausted

Excellent first half display and excellent result! Slightly sloppy and wasteful in the final third 2nd half, but saw out the game with ease which made it a great night.

Since Boxing Day we have now picked up 25 points from 17 games so close to 1.5 points per game which is good going for us in this league, especially with the Striker issues we have had all season.

One huge positive for me is that 8 out of the 10 outfield starters tonight are signed on for next season. That’s with us exercising the additional year for Jules which I’m sure we will.

Shows we have a good base to build from for next season unlike at the end of last season when we lost so many integral players.

Still some work to do to stay up, but the core of the team is starting to form which is promising for next year.

Two more wins ASAP would be nice so we can all enjoy the run in to the end of the season!!
I agree, we have a core already for next season. Like you say, lets put this season to bed quickly so that we can experiment with some other squad players here for next season. Fitzwater needs a chance alongside Sweenz and then Will Aimson. I'm still hoping that Cheick will sign but even if he does we need at least one more central defender. I'd also like to see Millinic Alli given a run alongside Sonny as he has looked sharp so far but we need to see him for 90 minutes. Caleb Watts also needs a few games as I think he has potential, but he needs a chance to show it. I think pre season should start as soon as we are safe.!

Last edited: