• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Shrewsbury Town v Exeter City Matchday Thread

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not sure we managed the second half brilliantly. We allowed them to get through a few times (great save by Vil) and offered very little going forward. The subs were a disappointment too, particularly Eisa. Gary mentioned it in his interview
We did what we needed to in the second half. Rested a few players, gave minutes to a few others who needed it, avoided any injuries and made sure Shrewsbury didn't have a sniff of getting back into the game.

ExmouthMart

Great to get three points obviously but that was about it. Shrewsbury just gave up when they went down to ten men and we took advantage but in the second half lost our way. Too many passes and not quick enough. We should have buried them. We have a decent squad but they are being asked to play too rigidly and not express themselves. Looks like Eisa was signed because we needed a striker to appease the fans plus he doesn’t look interested.
Short term we should survive the drop but going forward it will be more of the same. A difficult watch and unexpected gifts like last night but if it keeps us in League One who cares I suppose.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thank we would have won without the sending off, in fact I would have preferred to do it that way.
It's a bit disappointing that Shrewsbury, Burton and Cambridge could all survive in league 1. They all seem to be falling apart. Bottom four are gone.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thank we would have won without the sending off, in fact I would have preferred to do it that way.
It's a bit disappointing that Shrewsbury, Burton and Cambridge could all survive in league 1. They all seem to be falling apart. Bottom four are gone.
On the other hand, that would mean there are three teams we should have a good chance of finishing above next season! And given the quality and wealth of some of the teams who look like coming up from League 2, that could be very important.

fred binneys head

I'm not sure we managed the second half brilliantly. We allowed them to get through a few times (great save by Vil) and offered very little going forward. The subs were a disappointment too, particularly Eisa. Gary mentioned it in his interview
I disagree, I can only remember one real chance they had. The free kick that went just wide was a ridiculous decision from the ref, their player was already on the floor before Jules got to him. We didn’t create many clear chances no, but they were playing with 8 men in the box when we attacked. We controlled the game completely in the second half, there was never a doubt we’d win, job well done.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Some are bemoaning our performance in the second half but, the thing is, we were 3-0 up at half time and after that it was mainly "game management". Now, I am from the generation when that phrase was never heard. You just kept trying to score, regardless. If you were 4-0 up you went hell for leather for the 5th.

Rightly, or wrongly, it's not like that today. I think there are arguments for and against. If you go 3-0 up, especially away from home, there is an argument for "possession football" rather than "going for it" with that scoreline. However, it cannot be claimed to be particularly entertaining for spectators.

Finally, Shrewsbury, last night, were exceptionally poor in my opinion. I very much doubt that last night's City second half tactics would have worked against a lot of teams playing on their own pitch. In our current predicament I think it unarguable that we used the right tactics.

red1

No pleasing some on here. We scored 3 against their 10 men before half time. 2nd half we had complete control against a Shrews team that were on damage limitation exercise ie: everybody behind the ball. We made 5 substitutions which always disrupts a flow of game too.
A job well done. Love him or loathe him, GC done well here !

Bridgy 81

No pleasing some on here. We scored 3 against their 10 men before half time. 2nd half we had complete control against a Shrews team that were on damage limitation exercise ie: everybody behind the ball. We made 5 substitutions which always disrupts a flow of game too.
A job well done. Love him or loathe him, GC done well here !
Agreed, plus their keeper couldn’t have moved slower in the second half if he’d tried.
I thought I was going to see a first for me last night i.e. someone who’s losing 3:0 being booked for time wasting!

tonykellowfan

I disagree, I can only remember one real chance they had. The free kick that went just wide was a ridiculous decision from the ref, their player was already on the floor before Jules got to him. We didn’t create many clear chances no, but they were playing with 8 men in the box when we attacked. We controlled the game completely in the second half, there was never a doubt we’d win, job well done.
You can't have been watching that well then, Purrington passed the ball to their forward who would have scored apart from an excellent save from Sinisalo.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
You can't have been watching that well then, Purrington passed the ball to their forward who would have scored apart from an excellent save from Sinisalo.
They also had a decent chance early on (but after the red card) but their player, who'd done well to get into a goal scoring position, skied his shot.