• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Shrewsbury Town v Exeter City Matchday Thread

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
No chance that will be overturned. A waste of money.

arthur

Mate, your team were sh!t. That first half performance, even though you were down to ten men, was beyond dire. Surprised anyone remained in the stadium after half time. Some people don't like our manager, but I guarantee he would never indulge in a whingefest like that

fred binneys head

I can understand why he feels that way from where he was stood, but he might change his mind when he sees the replay from the opposite side of the pitch.

denzel

Mate, your team were sh!t. That first half performance, even though you were down to ten men, was beyond dire. Surprised anyone remained in the stadium after half time. Some people don't like our manager, but I guarantee he would never indulge in a whingefest like that
Whinging on about a foul in the lead up to goals, bloke fell over when being breathed on. In his words 'if that's a foul we may as well give up"

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
A great win last night and one which was hugely needed for numerous reasons. For me I felt the sending off was harsh, even after re-seeing it, but i can understand why the ref has, but for me it was a 50/50 with both players committed just Woods came out worse. But that ref has owed us some decisions and my goodness he was dreadful, but largely in our favour so happy to take it.

On the game itself, three really good goals and a deserved win, but the 2nd half was really poor from us (I agree with Caldwell, we have to show more in that position 2nd half), we didn't really do anything and Shrewsbury whom are beyond poor from the two games we have played against them, couldn't deal with being down to ten and offered nothing themselves. Whilst We where 3-0 up and cruising, I Was disappointed with the 2nd half as we just offered so little against a very very poor side with 10 men. Whilst I am not fussed on whether we scored more or not, There weren't really any chances worthy of note, despite having the ball in good positions on a few occasions to create some half chances.

One good thing though, one real positive this season, is we seem very good at playing against 10 men and have a good plan to play 10 men. Credit to GC and the team last night, they played against a very poor side with 10 men pretty perfectly in the first half. That is probably the first win in a while (Barnsley first half this year was the last time, but before that it was probably August) which was been borne out of the preferred style of play that GC wants us to play and for that 20 minute spell we looked extremely good. We now have to learn to play like that against 11 men consistently. Whilst I am not overly fussed on the style of play GC wants us to play as I think it is a tough way to play and one that is very hard to play effectively and consistently well when you don't have some of the better players in the league, I am happy to credit it when it works, as overall I am not fussed on how we play, as long as it is effective and reasonably decent to watch.

Things feel a lot better this morning following last night and it will now take a huge amount for us to go down, which was the main aim this season and one which despite how poor we have been at times, GC Does deserve credit for if he keeps us up, I Just pray and hope between now and the end of the season and next season, we see a willingness to change things when it isn't working like with Bolton on Saturday, as a plan B / C is always something you want to see in a side, even if they don't work every single time.

fred binneys head

I agree MJP, but only after SGC had spoken to a few players on the sideline and then at half time. In the immediate aftermath of the red card, some of the city players were not playing intelligently against ten men, committing too many unnecessary fouls, making poor decisions (such as Harper going as last man when we had a corner and he could hardly walk). It was clear that the ref was getting grief from their players and fans yet we still made 50:50 or even 40:60 tackles in safe areas of the pitch.

Second half was a different story, we managed the game brilliantly. Full credit to SGC last night for his tactics, his substitutions and his half time team talk.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree MJP, but only after SGC had spoken to a few players on the sideline and then at half time. In the immediate aftermath of the red card, some of the city players were not playing intelligently against ten men, committing too many unnecessary fouls, making poor decisions (such as Harper going as last man when we had a corner and he could hardly walk). It was clear that the ref was getting grief from their players and fans yet we still made 50:50 or even 40:60 tackles in safe areas of the pitch.

Second half was a different story, we managed the game brilliantly. Full credit to SGC last night for his tactics, his substitutions and his half time team talk.
Yeah overall agreed, from around the 28th minute to half time we looked very very good, in the 22 mins after the sending off, we offered very little and looking back at my discussion with my football groups on WhatsApp, I did comment that we looked like we where trying to join Shrewsbury in going down to ten men. Whilst we contained and managed the 2nd half, I was really disappointed we offered so little on the final third against such a poor side.

scottus86

Yes, they are both under contract so we will be compensated if they leave. It would just be nice to have one summer where we don't lose our best players and have to rebuild.
I don't think our squad will attract many offers in the summer. I could see Hartridge and Kite leaving, but probably not for anything better than what they're getting at Exeter.

tonykellowfan

I have to say that I don't agree with those that say we looked good. Shrewsbury were very very poor and with 10 men they were dire in the first half. Second half we still couldn't score and created very little.

denzel

I'm not sure we managed the second half brilliantly. We allowed them to get through a few times (great save by Vil) and offered very little going forward. The subs were a disappointment too, particularly Eisa. Gary mentioned it in his interview