• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Should Exeter City remain a fan-owned club?

ex_user1234

Resigned
Why should the people of Exeter be consulted?
I have supported City for nigh on 50 years & have never lived within 10 miles of Exeter For 23 years I was in the Army so was all over the world. I am a trust member so surely it is up to someone to put an offer to the Trust if they want to buy the trust shares. But what would be their motivation to buy the club, to put money in or take it out?
The clue is in the name of the club: Exeter City.

ex_user1234

Resigned
Then why aren't the multi millionaires lining up all the way down Old Tiverton Rd, into Sidwell St and across into High St to purchase ECFC?
Because it is not a money-making opportunity.

GJW

Wow! Wonder what Old Trafford would look like on a match day with all non-Manchester residents taken out of the equation.

Matt Russell

Of all the winning arguments I've read...........this is a turd.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Not until they reach 16-18?
And even when we do sell them we get shafted by the bigger club.

Reactions: DB9

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Football clubs have a culture which reflects it's fanbase. Generally speaking City fans are not flashy or prawn sandwich types. They are down to earth, not very demanding, know who we are, appreciate the cosiness of our ground, and would be more than happy to become a stable, mid-Div 1 club. Meanwhile, they can support their 2nd club in the Premier League from a distance if they want a dose of top class football.
We don't have the population to support a Championship team. And look at Brentford. They have a rich owner but still have debts (IINM), and they are"bigger" than us.
There is realistic ambition and there is pipedream ambition. For me stability in Div 1 is a nice ambition.
Really going for it with a private owner is a road littered with risks. How many clubs have been stitched up? And even a genuine owner (who would presumably be a businessman) can see his business go bust, and then what?
It's not a question of City not having ambition : t's a question of having a common sense, realistic ambition. There can't be 92 clubs in the top 2 tiers: other clubs have their ambitions, too.
Finally, the economic aftermath of the pandemic is going to be more serious than some people think. Our most pressing ambition for the next 5 years is to survive as a professional football club.

IBA

Yes. It's the most sustainable model which is important in the current climate.

Alistair20000

Three whole bottles as a consumer must almost make you an owner............right?
If only :) Still, plenty more in the wine store.

Alistair20000

Makes note for future reference for future Exeweb quiz questions !
You have already torpedoed a pair of questions and others now in danger. :cry:

**shakes fist**

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
You have already torpedoed a pair of questions and others now in danger. :cry:

**shakes fist**
That's a shame, I might have got some points this year :(
Love a Loire wine me - particularly a lightly chilled Chinon or Anjou rouge. Wonderful in this weather with an assiette de fromages.

(sorry off topic)