• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sheffield Wednesday about to enter administration

wemissmoxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Back in the day I would have agreed, but their support was proper working class like many other big Northern clubs, in these days of prawn sandwiches and corporate b*ll*cks they would struggle to put together the kind of support generated by a Sunderland or the Mags over any period of time. A nice day out at Wembley for a play off would see them out in their droves, but week in week out, at thirty quid a time to watch the Wigans and Blackburns of this world, I rather think not.

They have a massive stadium redevelopment plan on the back burner, see World Cup Bid/ Plymouth Argyle/laugh your b*ll*cks off. In fact they are the Scum's next visitors, they could market the fixture as the 'Basket Case Bowl'.

'tis odd though that likes of Brum can find big foreign money that wants to play about, but Leeds and Wednesday are left to the bottom feeders, could be a Yaaarkshire thing.
They got over 23,000 V Dagenham & Redbridge, hardly a glamour match.

KingBilly

These days the Saints are shooting themselves in the foot.
Just noticed Martin O'Neill has become the favourite for the Saints job! He's been backed into even money favourite from 25/1 yesterday (Skybet).

That would be one hell of a signing if Saints get him!

Early 90 s Weds finished top 3 would have now gone in to the champs league,were doing great under trevor Francis reaching the league and f.a cup final in the same season and always top half and thought they could do better with a new manager,Francis was sacked and the club went down hill ever since,a bit like Charlton getting Curbs out now look at them,when will clubs learn.

Poultice

They got over 23,000 V Dagenham & Redbridge, hardly a glamour match.
And they were down to 18 and a half for Brighton a fortnight later despite being unbeaten, puts their support on a similar level to Southampton and Norwich, decent, but the longer they stay out of the spotlight the worse it will get, aren't Southampton's gates down this season now the novelty has worn off ?

benh

Having worked as a steward for Wednesday just last December and lived in the city until July I'd be very suprised if their support drops significantly in L1. The city loves its clubs, everywhere you look there are shirts, flags, what have you...

Sandstorm

And they were down to 18 and a half for Brighton a fortnight later despite being unbeaten, puts their support on a similar level to Southampton and Norwich, decent, but the longer they stay out of the spotlight the worse it will get, aren't Southampton's gates down this season now the novelty has worn off ?
Not sure this is the case - they were in L1 fairly recently and didn't suffer too badly.

As for lacking support they would certainly sell out if they went back to the premiership and be topping 30k if they were doing well in the championship.

The areas around Sheffield are large conurbations and they tend to be Wednesday fans historically. Rotherham has a population of about 250k and so few go to see Rotherham FC because they all go to Wednesday instead..

Good comparison would be Sunderland in terms of current potential IMO. The debt is stifling at the moment though.

Poultice

Having worked as a steward for Wednesday just last December and lived in the city until July I'd be very suprised if their support drops significantly in L1.
Not suggesting it will, they will average around 20k if they are moderately successful, what I am saying is I don't believe they would sell out many of their fixtures in the Prem unless they were very successful, and they aren't going to be in that position for some time so we will quite possibly never know.

The historically big teams have missed the boat if they are not already in the Prem and the vast funds that it would require to bring back the 'glory days' ain't chasing the likes of Wednesday.

Poultice

Good comparison would be Sunderland in terms of current potential IMO. The debt is stifling at the moment though.
Sunderland are a Prem club with a close to 50k cap, nearly new stadium, and an owner with pretty deep pockets, no kind of comparison at all in my book.

Sandstorm

Not suggesting it will, they will average around 20k if they are moderately successful, what I am saying is I don't believe they would sell out many of their fixtures in the Prem unless they were very successful, and they aren't going to be in that position for some time so we will quite possibly never know.

The historically big teams have missed the boat if they are not already in the Prem and the vast funds that it would require to bring back the 'glory days' ain't chasing the likes of Wednesday.
Stoke, Wigan and Birmingham have done it with relatively small budgets.

Agree with you that it will only get harder though and you have sh*te teams like Blackburn and Bolton with no fan-base firmly ensconced on the gravytrain. But for a team with a 40k stadium and little debts they'd be an attractive purchase.

I don't agree with you about attendances. There's a massive hunger for football in S Yorks and tonnes of Wednesday fans who have refused to go since the whole Dave Allen debacleor become disillusioned by the gradual year-on-year slump. They would come back when things start looking up, as people tend to do.

Sandstorm

Sunderland are a Prem club with a close to 50k cap, nearly new stadium, and an owner with pretty deep pockets, no kind of comparison at all in my book.
True, but only 38K turned out to see Sunderland in what I would have thought of as a gamour game against moneybags Citeh.

I agree your POV to an extent and financially they are obviously poles apart at the moment.

Sheffield and surrounding conurbations have a population of over a million people with no real leading rugby/cricket team either there's massive potential. Nobody is going to touch them with £30m debts though.

As for Leeds you mentioned earlier. Bates was never going to let go after picking them up in such disgusting circumstances for so little money. He's sitting on a good deal and wont sell for a while at least. The fans will return when he finally leaves.

(of course that is if he still owns the club ;) )