• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Scottish football.

Martin Weiler

The Scottish FL Table at the end of the 1923/24 season.
This was the first season for the newly formed Scottish Third Division.
It only lasted 3 seasons before the league format returned to 2 divisions.

View attachment 8621
That’s a great post Olds. I noticed that Arthurlie topped the new Third Division. A couple of weeks ago I went to see a game at Arthurlie’s Dunterlie Park. Have you been there? It’s a wonderful traditional ground in Glasgow,pretty much as it would have been in 1923/4 - lots of terracing that are such a feature of the surviving old stadiums in Scotland.

D458CAF3-4B91-419E-A581-A7153C5F438E.jpeg

Last edited:

i8cornwall

The Scottish FL Table at the end of the 1923/24 season.
This was the first season for the newly formed Scottish Third Division.
It only lasted 3 seasons before the league format returned to 2 divisions.

View attachment 8621
All of those present in the first Division are still going in one form or another.

Granted with Clydebank and Third Lanark being reformed in more recent times.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
All of those present in the first Division are still going in one form or another.

They've reformed? So they must be a Fourth Lanark..

Oldsmobile-88

Clydebank have had a couple of reincarnations since those days, Including one season as ES Clydebank after they merged with East Stirlingshire to gain The Falkirk based clubs place in the 2nd Division.
The ill fated venture ended up in court.
After a season East Stirlingshire & Clydebank went their separate ways much to the relief of the formers supporters.

i8cornwall

They've reformed? So they must be a Fourth Lanark..
I think it's now 5th Lanark now

Martin Weiler

What is wonderful is that football is still played at Third Lanark’s Cathkin Park. Volunteers have even refreshed some of the old terracing.

E88F4066-C36E-4390-9586-CD7DC35EFC2B.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

A great result for Glasgow Rangers in Eindhoven this evening, winning 1-0(3-2 on aggregate) to qualify for the Champions League.

At the other end of the scale in Scottish Football. The Scottish FA Cup returns to Claggan Park, Fort William on Saturday with a preliminary round game against Benburb, who are a Glasgow based team who play in the West of Scotland League, Div 1.

Oldsmobile-88

Fort William seem to be liking life in the North Caledonian League, winning away 6-1 at Halkirk(near to Georgeomas Junction between Wick & Thurso)

I doubt they have scored 6 goals in a competitive game for decades. 3 wins in 4 games which is also unheard of.

fred binneys head

Brechin unlucky to lose on penalties away at Inverness today 😞

sign of the chimes

Brechin unlucky to lose on penalties away at Inverness today 😞
It might learn them to stop describing themselves as 'a city' and costing casual quizzers like me a prize fund. (Is it #stillfuming?)