• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Scottish football.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
SPFL has just secured a new deal with Sky Sports worth £150m, Compare that to the EPL's deal worth about £5bn. Totally different world i know but it equates to around £30m per club per season, Doubt if English top flight clubs would get out of bed for that money!

Colesman Ballz

SPFL has just secured a new deal with Sky Sports worth £150m, Compare that to the EPL's deal worth about £5bn. Totally different world i know but it equates to around £30m per club per season, Doubt if English top flight clubs would get out of bed for that money!

Seems a bit ambiguous. Is it £150M each year or just £30M per season over 5 years, divided amongst the twelve clubs ? :unsure:

DB9

Seems a bit ambiguous. Is it £150M each year or just £30M per season over 5 years, divided amongst the twelve clubs ? :unsure:
Not sure TBH, I highlighted it because of the vast differences in TV money between the SPFL & EPL.

sign of the chimes

Given the last FL deal was about £600m over five years, and was agreed back in 2018 (runs till end of '24), I think it's safe to assume it's the latter given the league/number of clubs.

Oldsmobile-88

Top of the table clash in The North Caledonian League this Saturday at Claggan Park...Fort William play Loch Ness.

B02A405A-9E50-4E99-973D-A4DF0B4ED739.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

On BBC Scotland via the iplayer is a programme, Fight For The Fort about the 2021/22 season when the club had to play every game away.
Over 8,000 miles travelled for a club with no home gate income.
A miracle that they completed the regular season.

grecIAN Harris

Jambo will be a happy bunny today after Hearts stuffing of Hibs in the Edinburgh Derby today.

Oldsmobile-88

One of the biggest ever shocks in the Scottish FA Cup yesterday evening. West of Scotland League team Darvel beat Aberdeen 1-0.
The Ayrshire club now have a last 16 home game against Falkirk.

Bridgy 81

I happened to notice Joe Hart in the Celtic lineup today.
I’d forgotten he was there.
He’s had a very good career but a slightly odd one.
After moving from Shrewsbury, his home town team, to Manchester City he played 300+ matches for them winning, amongst other things, two Premier League titles and an FA Cup, whilst becoming England’s undisputed #1 goalie (racking up 75 full international appearances)
Then when Pep Guardiola arrived at Manchester City in 2016 it all changed overnight.
Guardiola obviously didn’t fancy Hart at all, promptly replacing him with Claudio Bravo and then Ederson.
Hart could hardly buy any club appearances over the next 5 years or so, which was when he moved to Celtic.
He’s played regularly there and is now on the verge of winning his second Scottish Premiership title.
I wonder what made Guardiola jettison him?
He always struck me when playing for England as appearing a little intense but then again so does Pickford.
I suppose Guardiola didn’t think he could play the type of keeper role he wanted and needed i.e. sweeping behind the defence and confident with the ball at his feet?
Either way it goes to show how quickly things can change and to Hart’s credit he’s been prepared to move around in search of game time, he’s hung in there and is now continuing his career at a decent level.

Rosencrantz

I happened to notice Joe Hart in the Celtic lineup today.
I’d forgotten he was there.
He’s had a very good career but a slightly odd one.
After moving from Shrewsbury, his home town team, to Manchester City he played 300+ matches for them winning, amongst other things, two Premier League titles and an FA Cup, whilst becoming England’s undisputed #1 goalie (racking up 75 full international appearances)
Then when Pep Guardiola arrived at Manchester City in 2016 it all changed overnight.
Guardiola obviously didn’t fancy Hart at all, promptly replacing him with Claudio Bravo and then Ederson.
Hart could hardly buy any club appearances over the next 5 years or so, which was when he moved to Celtic.
He’s played regularly there and is now on the verge of winning his second Scottish Premiership title.
I wonder what made Guardiola jettison him?
He always struck me when playing for England as appearing a little intense but then again so does Pickford.
I suppose Guardiola didn’t think he could play the type of keeper role he wanted and needed i.e. sweeping behind the defence and confident with the ball at his feet?
Either way it goes to show how quickly things can change and to Hart’s credit he’s been prepared to move around in search of game time, he’s hung in there and is now continuing his career at a decent level.
It was very much the second theory in your post. Guardiola wanted a goalkeeper who could play out and was comfortable with the ball at his feet. The shame for Joe Hart was that he was playing really well at the time goalkeeping wise, particularly in Champions League games. As a result I think the perception of him changed quickly from England's No 1 to yesterday's man very quickly. From being No 1 in the 2018 World Cup qualifiers upto October 2017 to not being in the World Cup squad the following summer as Southgate preferred Pickford, Forster and Pope. He would have taken Butland ahead of Hart as well if he wasn't injured.