• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sausages

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can save you some babies heads later if you like ramone, with biscuits AB. Off to get civgas now though.

Terryhall

If by compo you mean the those used in British Army field rations I most heartily disagree. While different from your usual banger I just loved them.
When I was a kid going camping I used to get "leftover" (e.g out of date) army rat packs from the army surplus shop in town. You had to take what you got more or less, but the holy grail was always the radioactive-looking boil in the bag sausage in beans, pears in chocolate sauce, and if you're really lucky, oatmeal block in a can (and if not, a pack of "biscuits fruit"). Delicious.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Just had my rolled oats and hot chocolate for breakfast ......just found this on the net for those who have eaten this stuff.

http://www.forces80.com/rations.htm

And for those who always thought the officer class had it better than rank and file ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ3_o7F7mqY Bloody knew it all along !

Terryhall

Just had my rolled oats and hot chocolate for breakfast ......just found this on the net for those who have eaten this stuff.

http://www.forces80.com/rations.htm

And for those who always thought the officer class had it better than rank and file ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ3_o7F7mqY Bloody knew it all along !
Ah the memories! Had to google to find the full list but this was the one we always hunted for

Menu 'G'

Breakfast

Oatmeal Block
Porridge
Pork Sausage & Beans

Snacks

Fruit Biscuits
Brown Biscuits
Cheese Spread
Confectionery Bar
Chocolate Caramels
Chocolate Biscuits & Fruit
Boiled Sweets

Main Meal

Soup
Lancashire Hot-Pot
Pears in Chocolate Sauce

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Gave my daughter a tin opener earlier , didn't have a clue how it worked til I showed her lol

The tinned fruit cake was rather nice as I remember but the chocolate one wasn't as good.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The other week I had the skinny sausages from the Good Little Company. Utterly revolting.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
When I was a kid going camping I used to get "leftover" (e.g out of date) army rat packs from the army surplus shop in town. You had to take what you got more or less, but the holy grail was always the radioactive-looking boil in the bag sausage in beans, pears in chocolate sauce, and if you're really lucky, oatmeal block in a can (and if not, a pack of "biscuits fruit"). Delicious.
When on exercise with the Yanks, there was this American captain who loved compo Irish Stew. Many's the time you'd see him in the mess tent (MASH style) spooning down a whole mess tin of the stuff.

Oatmeal blocks made super-duper porridge. Blokes used to cast theirs aside but I always gathered them up in case the next meal was a long time coming.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
What are Chinese sausages. So a recipe that uses them, but can't find anywhere to buy them. I guess a Chinese 'corner' shop might do them, but I don't think we have any nearby.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Chinese sausages sound wrong.

I have just enjoyed some Old English pork bangers from Burrow Farm at Courtney’s in Cowick Street. Matey who served me recommended them as their best sausage. Bleddy tasty. (y).

Other purveyors may be available

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Anyone tried chicken sausages? It seems that they're very easy to overcook and doing so turns them into something the police could use in the event of a truncheon shortage.