• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Salford City v Exeter City Matchday Thread

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
It always amused Hants, being called Hants in the Centre Spot, guess I'll need to get used to being addressed as Aardvark.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
It always amused Hants, being called Hants in the Centre Spot, guess I'll need to get used to being addressed as Aardvark.
Delete

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Nah, we’re getting on fine without him. You seem to fill the gap quite well:)
Huh. :p

Anyway the disk symbol should now appear for most people.

Missed me?

suffolklad

Thanks for all the responses people but sorry no disk symbol

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure if this has been mentioned but it was only a tenner to stand on Saturday. That's by far the cheapest I've paid in recent times - beating the £14 at Burton last time we played there. I wouldn't have thought this influenced our great turnout much but it certainly wouldn't have put off anyone undecided about attending. I don't know if £10 is their usual terrace price or if they reduced it to attract people in December but it begs the question Is it better to charge more per head - or less and hope for a higher attendance ?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure if this has been mentioned but it was only a tenner to stand on Saturday. That's by far the cheapest I've paid in recent times - beating the £14 at Burton last time we played there. I wouldn't have thought this influenced our great turnout much but it certainly wouldn't have put off anyone undecided about attending. I don't know if £10 is their usual terrace price or if they reduced it to attract people in December but it begs the question Is it better to charge more per head - or less and hope for a higher attendance ?
Its a complex calculation. In theory there should be a nice simple graph showing the point where revenue is maximised but if it were that straightforward everyone would do it. Just look at the bewildering variety of pricing policies League 2 clubs follow.

Generally my answer to the question is lowering prices from an established level for the type of entertainment (L2 football) does not lead to increased revenue through higher attendances, but increasing them significantly (more than a pound or two) without good justification seems to drive more customers away than it generates increased revenue per customer. So the answer is to make changes gradually and explain the reasons carefully.

Salford made a policy decision to hold their ticket prices this season at Conference levels (so it's £10 to stand for all games) as promoted clubs often do, but it doesn't seem to have generated decent attendances and their owners must be filling the gap. Next season assuming they stay up I expect they will increase them to be more in line with others.

AL_Yates

Looking at the economics model charging less for tickets has benefits if well publicized and we get a name for it. They must have made loads on food and drink sales at Salford. They had a decent operation for that with modern ovens and fridges. The mark up would have been good I am sure. Alll be it they ran out. Looking at our prices I think we are on the more expensive side. Imagine holding the prices next year, or slightly dropping them. It might give us 6000 plus gates at the Park more often. Nothing better than a full SJP to help spur the team on. It would also encourage better players to join us, with better atmospheres and support. Our away end will not be full too many times this season. You would also get more retail sales all the way.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Salford as a Johnny-come-lately sugar daddy club are cash rich and support poor. Therefore their best business model is currently to get people in through the door and encourage them to become full-time supporters, and for that cheap tickets are a boon.

We, on the other hand, have an established support base. If people like the product on offer, they will come at the prices we charge, and very few will be deterred by this. Therefore IMO it wouldn't make any sense for us to drop our prices to this sort of level as the ROI simply wouldn't materialise.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
P.s. context and the alternatives are also important. We will get around 4,000 for the visit of Walsall on Saturday but approaching 6,000 for Newport five days later. At exactly the same prices.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Looking at the economics model charging less for tickets has benefits if well publicized and we get a name for it. They must have made loads on food and drink sales at Salford. They had a decent operation for that with modern ovens and fridges. The mark up would have been good I am sure. Alll be it they ran out. Looking at our prices I think we are on the more expensive side. Imagine holding the prices next year, or slightly dropping them. It might give us 6000 plus gates at the Park more often. Nothing better than a full SJP to help spur the team on. It would also encourage better players to join us, with better atmospheres and support. Our away end will not be full too many times this season. You would also get more retail sales all the way.
It is a difficult balance.
The advantage of cheaper tickets also includes attracting new fans who might stay with/become attached to the club for the long term, not just for one reduced ticket price match.