• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ryan Harley at the game yesterday?

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Struggled so much we ended up 8th in League One.
Cure ton and nardiello possibly helped a bit with that.

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
pt has already publicaly said he's worth at the very least a mil. so thats the min i' m expecting. anything lower and they aint getting value but in fairness iv'e always been impressed with what they've got 4 our yung uns george ect ect.
hahahahaha, i'll have whatever you're having! Just cos tisdale expects it, doesn't mean he'll get it! And as the money situation still isn't great, then I can see us being shafted!

Antony Moxey

hahahahaha, i'll have whatever you're having! Just cos tisdale expects it, doesn't mean he'll get it! And as the money situation still isn't great, then I can see us being shafted!
Why? We've always had a money situation that hasn't been great and haven't been shafted in the past. Which players - possibly Harley apart - do you think we've had to let go at below market value?

I agree entirely with your belief that we won't necessarily get Tisdale's valuation, but given what our better youngsters have gone for in the past I see no reason to believe we won't get a decent fee for Grimes.

cannockred

For me the ideal situation when grimesinho departs would be SRH coming in with someone like Alex Nicholls ( a footballer with a brain, like nards and curo ). That would give us so many combinations from an attacking point of view with what we have already.

Oh and godzilla in the centre of defence

Not worn fryer tuck costume for a while as it does
Struggled so much we ended up 8th in League One.
At the time there was huge discussion saying that they shouldn't be playing in the same team (imagine this was lost in the Exeweb meltdown a while ago).

andrew p long

its a pity that the Harley story is a journalist reporting a rumour rather than a journo saying this is going to happen (which then becomes the rumour)

Would be great if it happens,albeit that because of match fitness it would be several weeks before Ryan was starting regularly

I doubt we'll ever know how much we'll get for him, MS.
I wonder how many posters on here will put their neck on the line and predict the price tag?
I'll go £600,000 + £50,000 per every 20 appearances up to 60 + £100,000 if picked for the full England team.
But there again, I know feck all.
I'll go with £1million up front but over staged 1+7 quarterly payments, 15% sell on, £10k an appearance up to 50 and £500k if he gets picked for full England team whilst still at the purchasing club.

Even if the purchasing club had to pay all of those clauses up it would make him a flipping cheap player for them when you take into account that he would have to become a reasonably established Premiership midfielder with a full England cap. When the club came to sell him in those circumstances they would at least be looking to get £10million for him at the very least especially being the type of eye catching midfielder he is in style at least. When you consider that a month of Wayne Rooney's wages at Utd would more than pay for Grimes it just shows the shocking discrepancy between the top and the bottom of the food chain of football in this country.

The club need to have a bit of a think about about who they actually sell him to in the end as in an ideal world they should want him to go to a Southampton style club where he could get a chance to get match time over the next 1-2 years whilst having a chance of getting picked for the full England team there, but also being at a club where if he was to really, really, really kick on and become a top end Premiership midfielder in and around the England Squad he still has the chance to 'move up' a level to sign for one of the 'BIG' clubs like your Man Utds, Man City's, Liverpool's, Arsenal's, Chelsea's et all for proper money which could more than double want we initially get for him via the sell on clause.

There is no point at all in selling him to a club like Huddersfield and inserting an International clauses which won't happen and like wise I hope we don't take any kind of cut to his eventual transfer fee to have him back on loan as it benefits the purchasing club arguably more than us to be having him playing regularly in an environment in which he is improving more than us assuming they don't plan to play him straightaway.

I'll go with £1million up front but over staged 1+7 quarterly payments, 15% sell on, £10k an appearance up to 50 and £500k if he gets picked for full England team whilst still at the purchasing club.

Even if the purchasing club had to pay all of those clauses up it would make him a flipping cheap player for them when you take into account that he would have to become a reasonably established Premiership midfielder with a full England cap. When the club came to sell him in those circumstances they would at least be looking to get £10million for him at the very least especially being the type of eye catching midfielder he is in style at least. When you consider that a month of Wayne Rooney's wages at Utd would more than pay for Grimes it just shows the shocking discrepancy between the top and the bottom of the food chain of football in this country.

The club need to have a bit of a think about about who they actually sell him to in the end as in an ideal world they should want him to go to a Southampton style club where he could get a chance to get match time over the next 1-2 years whilst having a chance of getting picked for the full England team there, but also being at a club where if he was to really, really, really kick on and become a top end Premiership midfielder in and around the England Squad he still has the chance to 'move up' a level to sign for one of the 'BIG' clubs like your Man Utds, Man City's, Liverpool's, Arsenal's, Chelsea's et all for proper money which could more than double want we initially get for him via the sell on clause.

There is no point at all in selling him to a club like Huddersfield and inserting an International clauses which won't happen and like wise I hope we don't take any kind of cut to his eventual transfer fee to have him back on loan as it benefits the purchasing club arguably more than us to be having him playing regularly in an environment in which he is improving more than us assuming they don't plan to play him straightaway.
As a side to what I have just said there I wouldn't be against having 2/3 youngsters from the purchasing club who aren't going to make it with them but who have the potential to be good League 1 or very good League 2 players in the future as part of the fee but obviously not all of it. I'm thinking of similar players to your Troy's, your Dunne's, your Golbourne's and your Arthur's etc, etc. Players we could develop and then sell on for a profit over the coming years. :)

Last edited:

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
At the time there was huge discussion saying that they shouldn't be playing in the same team (imagine this was lost in the Exeweb meltdown a while ago).
It's kind of part of exeweb's history that the season where we were really something special (that season), the fans were the most difficult to please. Incredible amounts of moaning even though we were consistently punching above our weight, especially when you compared our budget with the teams around us. People are almost patient these days in comparison.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
If Harley signs it's got to be good news even if we get 50% of the quality he showed in L1 a while back.

Say what you like about Tisdale but he always got the best out of SRH. He needs to be given a free role with sercombe and Grimes in behind.

If harley signs it's not definite Grimes will leave in January but it does seem more likely.