• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

[Rerun]1989/90 and the Southend match. 8.30pm

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
A look at the 1989/90 season and finishing with the Southend United game to confirm Exeter as champions. Taken from the Grecians Glory tape.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Wishing Terry Cooper all the best. He's still living in the Canary Islands as far as I know, but wasnt well a few years back..Hopefully, he's keeping well and staying safe.

Oldsmobile-88

Terry Cooper was over for the 100th anniversary of the formation of Leeds United in Oct 2019.
The players in the 67-74 era were given the freedom of Leeds.
With Terry are Trevor Cherry,Gordon McQueen,Eddie Gray,Joe Jordon.
31D43195-F9B7-40B9-9506-02B078FF1A3D.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

It was a good watch.I can still remember the evening in detail.
The usual pre match meet up with the lads from work at the Golden Lion,Newtown at about 6pm.
Made our way to the ground for about 7pm,where some went into the BB,whilst I & a couple of others went into the Cowshed & stood at the BB end of it.
A confident atmosphere in the ground,unsurprisingly because of the way we played at SJP & always won(just 3 draws at home)

One thing that did annoy me on the night that I had forgotten about was the booing of Ian Benjamin by a small section of the crowd.He did not leave on bad terms a couple of months before,it was just football business.He had been superb for the Grecians.
Very uncomfortable given the fact that Martin Ling who also played for the Grecians was not booed.

Floodlights not turned on until necessary,unlike today when they seem to be on in full sunlight for evening KOs late in the season.

The invasion at the end.No daft threats to transgressors.
The first & only time a pitch invasion at SJP happened after Promotion was sealed.

Those really were halcyon days at SJP,which come along ‘once in a lifetime’(I’ve got my Talking Head on)

malcolms

Terry Cooper was over for the 100th anniversary of the formation of Leeds United in Oct 2019.
The players in the 67-74 era were given the freedom of Leeds.
With Terry are Trevor Cherry,Gordon McQueen,Eddie Gray,Joe Jordon.
View attachment 2244
Might be nice to send Terry one of the replica shirts in a frame to put on his wall....

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wrong post

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
It was a good watch.I can still remember the evening in detail.
The usual pre match meet up with the lads from work at the Golden Lion,Newtown at about 6pm.
Made our way to the ground for about 7pm,where some went into the BB,whilst I & a couple of others went into the Cowshed & stood at the BB end of it.
A confident atmosphere in the ground,unsurprisingly because of the way we played at SJP & always won(just 3 draws at home)

One thing that did annoy me on the night that I had forgotten about was the booing of Ian Benjamin by a small section of the crowd.He did not leave on bad terms a couple of months before,it was just football business.He had been superb for the Grecians.
Very uncomfortable given the fact that Martin Ling who also played for the Grecians was not booed.

Floodlights not turned on until necessary,unlike today when they seem to be on in full sunlight for evening KOs late in the season.

The invasion at the end.No daft threats to transgressors.
The first & only time a pitch invasion at SJP happened after Promotion was sealed.

Those really were halcyon days at SJP,which come along ‘once in a lifetime’(I’ve got my Talking Head on)
I just watched the whole game this morning. It was just before my time of supporting city sadly, but i can understand why Steve Neville was so highly thought of amongst city fans. What a player he was.

Oldsmobile-88

I just watched the whole game this morning. It was just before my time of supporting city sadly, but i can understand why Steve Neville was so highly thought of amongst city fans. What a player he was.
He was fantastic.
It was a real coup for TC to get him back to SJP from Bristol City(whos nose was put out of joint about the move iirc)
Very few players come back for a 3rd spell with a club,let alone be hugely successful.

malcolms

Might be nice to send Terry one of the replica shirts in a frame to put on his wall....
Would be happy to pay for it if anyone can organise...

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
He was fantastic.
It was a real coup for TC to get him back to SJP from Bristol City(whos nose was put out of joint about the move iirc)
Very few players come back for a 3rd spell with a club,let alone be hugely successful.
It was a shame the team didn't stay together long after that. The only ones left when I started supporting them in 91 were tom kelly and Danny Bailey. I think.