• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Red Legion Photos & Videos

i8cornwall

Yea fair enough mate, another suggestion put more info about displays eg. Painting the banners on here so people not in the loop can get more involved! I’m sure there’s Quite a lot of fans who would like to get more involved but don’t know how to go about it! Also people moaning about what’s being sung, it’s a football match in England ffs any singing is good as long as it’s not highly offensive, who cares!! that mindset is exactly why the bank isn’t bouncing every game.
I get what you're saying and will admit that we could communicate better with the wider fan base at time,it's something we can and are trying to.

We try to keep the bulk of the display stuff to people in the group if possible, not that we are against people helping us or getting involved, The MK display being a great example.

I've learnt to have a think skin when it comes to the please don't sing this or that, it's people opions at the end of the day and what makes the world what it is.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I realise that the RL don't care what I think but to me the "Murderer" chant at McCormick is crossing the line. As was calling Bradley Wright Phillips' mother a whore.

I have no particular view about chants against opposition teams; though I can't honestly say I hate Argyle that stays well inside the line. But these chants against individuals are much, much worse and frankly contemptible. And cowardly.

Legohead

Banned
To be honest i have no problem with fans shouting 'murderer' at McCormick as it's a kind of a fact. Ok, maybe 'killer' is more legally appropriate but in any case, he fully deserves it. The man still should be in prison as far as i'm concerned.

As i have no intel on the promiscuity of Bradley Wright Phillps' mother then i'd have to draw the line at that. Even if she was a whore it'd doubt it would impact anyone else's life like leaving a mum and dad childless.

Funny how we all see things differently though and it proves that the spectrum is very broad as to what each of us finds offensive or not.

For example. I went to see Frankie Boyle at Buxton Opera house a good few years ago now and he started launching into jokes about Madeleine McCann. I stood up, shouted that he was a w*nker and left. There's a line for us all that shouldn't be crossed.

Last edited:

i8cornwall

I realise that the RL don't care what I think but to me the "Murderer" chant at McCormick is crossing the line. As was calling Bradley Wright Phillips' mother a whore.

I have no particular view about chants against opposition teams; though I can't honestly say I hate Argyle that stays well inside the line. But these chants against individuals are much, much worse and frankly contemptible. And cowardly.
I'm not sure that we don't care what other supporters think but I get what you're saying.

The BWP chants actually happened before the RL was formed but the comments about the murder chant are fair and personally think that has now run its course.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
To be honest i have no problem with fans shouting 'murderer' at McCormick as it's a kind of a fact. Ok, maybe 'killer' is more legally appropriate but in any case, he fully deserves it. The man still should be in prison as far as i'm concerned.

As i have no intel on the promiscuity of Bradley Wright Phillps' mother then i'd have to draw the line at that. Even if she was a whore it'd doubt it would impact anyone else's life like leaving a mum and dad childless.

Funny how we all see things differently though and it proves that the spectrum is very broad as to what each of us finds offensive or not.

For example. I went to see Frankie Boyle at Buxton Opera house a good few years ago now and he started launching into jokes about Madeleine McCann. I stood up, shouted that he was a w*nker and left. There's a line for us all that shouldn't be crossed.
Re. McCormick.

I'm not defending him as an individual, he was selfish and thoughtless and the outcome was awful. He was sentenced to 7 years in prison for what he did, but is neither a murder or a killer in the sense of someone who does something deliberately.

That's what we have judges for, to decide after hearing the evidence impartially the appropriate sentence for each offence on its merits.

It a slippery slope if we decide we know better than them the merits of individual cases. What purpose would him still being in prison serve?

There are too many people in prison as it is.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm not sure that we don't care what other supporters think but I get what you're saying.

The BWP chants actually happened before the RL was formed but the comments about the murder chant are fair and personally think that has now run its course.
I think that ran it's course a very long time ago and, as somebody who usually joins in with most of the chanting singing, it has been quite frankly embarrassing that it was still being used.

Legohead

Banned
Re. McCormick.

I'm not defending him as an individual, he was selfish and thoughtless and the outcome was awful. He was sentenced to 7 years in prison for what he did, but is neither a murder or a killer in the sense of someone who does something deliberately.

That's what we have judges for, to decide after hearing the evidence impartially the appropriate sentence for each offence on its merits.

It a slippery slope if we decide we know better than them the merits of individual cases. What purpose would him still being in prison serve?

There are too many people in prison as it is.
I'm not deciding that i know better than the judges. I simply have an opinion that if drive a car whilst over the limit and get caught then first and foremost you should have your licence taken away permanently and not be allowed to drive for the rest of your life. Secondly 7 years in prison for killing two kids (no sure what sentence he did actually serve in the end) is laughable. There aren't too many people in prison. There are too few.

Prison should be about 3 things:

1. Protecting the general public from idiots who pose and danger and who can't be trusted to roam the free world without causing anybody else grief. Given that i keep seeing burglars, robbers and drug dealers getting caught and having 86 previous convictions for similar offences yet who are still on the streets causing grief to others highlights this perfectly. If all these people haven't yet learned from their mistakes after the 86th time then i think it's safe to say they won't and they should be inside indefinitely. To protect the rest of us who want to go about our daily business in peace and safety. Just think of the 87th time a drug dealer sold some drugs and someones kid died because of it. Just think of that 87th time your grans house got ransacked. There needs to be NO 87th time because these people should be in prison and stay there. So there are far too few people in prison IMO.

2. Punishment. McCormick did a stupid thing and must be accountable for it. He has done so by being punished by the short time he served inside. The judges decided on the sentence so by rights he's served his time and is now permitted to resume his life. That doesn't stop people like me disagreeing with the decision however. If we consider that two young children with their entire lives ahead of them were irresponsibly killed by the actions of McCormick and if we consider that both parents will suffer the anguish of this personal loss daily, how is 4 or 5 years or whatever punishment for this? I'm not saying McCormick doesn't deserve the opportunity to serve his time and then come out and resume his life after his prison sentence. I'm saying that the sentence was ludicrous in the first place. Of course that's not the fault of McCormick but the law which i recognise. This doesn't mean to say that i now fully support McCormick in his life because i don't believe he has served a proper sentence that I MYSELF deem appropriate. Which is an opinion i'm entitled to.

Serving such a paltry sentence just further reinforces my view that you do pretty much what the hell you like in this country and you'll not really suffer any great hardship. It's always the victims and their families who suffer more and they are the victims! How is this right?

3. Rehabilitation of offenders. Goes without saying really.

McCormick killed two kids. He was driving a vehicle whilst drunk which hit another and killed two children inside so yes, i think it's perfectly accurate to call him a killer.

Obviously this has been done to death so excuse me. I didn't get the opportunity to comment on the McCormick thing after it happened so i guess this is my opinion on the issue although somewhat belatedly.

As for the McCormick songs. I'm fine with them. If i go to the game with my kid and she asks why are those people shouting 'murderer' then i'll tell her the truth. That McCormick got drunk and drove a car causing a crash that killed two young children. There is no PC nonsense in this particular issue from me.

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Can we not go over the rghts and wrongs of McCormick's conviction and his subsequent employment. It's been very covered on many threads over the years.

Let's keep this about the Red Legion and the atmosphere at SJP, and at away games. Please!

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Let's keep this about the Red Legion and the atmosphere at SJP, and at away games. Please!
Fair comment.

Legohead

Banned
I was responding to appropriate relevant subject matter (McCormick) that had been left from previous posters and whilst many people on here have had their say about it, i wasn't an Exeweb user back then so naturally thought it a suitable time to post my views on the subject as it had cropped up. Obviously i've gone off topic so apologies.