• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Red Legion Disbanded

KentGrecian

Whos the guy with the drum these days

Leads

We are so lucky to have a stand like the Big Bank and it should be utilised. Hopefully a new group can take over or something. Fair play to anyone that gets involved, I’m sure it’s not easy.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Oh get over it your acting like a spoilt kid utc
That’s harsh man, these lads give up a huge amount of time and effort to ensure the players get the maximum support every game. Yes there can be an atmosphere without them, but not very often, and it’s 10 times better when the Legion / Collective are rocking the place.

It seems to me that all they’re after is a bit of engagement from the club and they aren’t getting it / haven’t got it. Not sure how true this is as there’s only one side to the story being put on this thread, but if it’s true it’s a real shame as these lads are legends in my book.

Yes, I join in and have been known to start the odd chant, no doubt like many of you reading this, but we’re all much worse off without these lads, so I hope the club reach out to them and get them engaged again. It can only be good for everyone.

jon_shoe

I loved it - the idea and the difference that the RL made. Totally get that there have been great days before and since but remember that the RL could turn a dour game into a big one.

The Big Bank is a helluva asset and RL helped us as a club to capitalise on it.

i hope there can be another group like it one day soon!

J-Han

Red Legion did some amazing things and created some incredible atmosphere, but there always felt like there was an element of toxicity around them. They weren’t liked by a lot of people despite their good work and some of the egos in the group and how they behaved surrounding it I think played a role in why they ultimately disbanded. The way they ended and went out like a damp squib after having their flag stolen was a bit embarrassing, though I accept that was the straw that broke the camels back rather than the reason they actually disbanded.

C20 showed loads of promise and I have no doubt in my mind they created some atmospheres that easily rivalled, if not topped, what the Red Legion did (barring magnificent displays vs. Liverpool for example). They also seemed to lack the egos that the RL had and the view of them was far more favourable, but I suspect Max is right, the actual running of these things isn’t just turning up at the right place on a Saturday and the C20 haven’t seemed to be able to keep it going, whereas credit to the RL, they went for quite a few years.

Either way, it’d be nice to see something come back. If something had the drive of the RL without the toxicity then perhaps we’d be on to a winner - easier said than done though.

robchave

If there is a group formed, can I suggest a name? The Grecian Phalanx.
After all, Legions were Roman!

Rosencrantz

If there is a group formed, can I suggest a name? The Grecian Phalanx.
After all, Legions were Roman!
I prefer Grecian Lookin' Chain 😉

i8cornwall

Red Legion did some amazing things and created some incredible atmosphere, but there always felt like there was an element of toxicity around them. They weren’t liked by a lot of people despite their good work and some of the egos in the group and how they behaved surrounding it I think played a role in why they ultimately disbanded. The way they ended and went out like a damp squib after having their flag stolen was a bit embarrassing, though I accept that was the straw that broke the camels back rather than the reason they actually disbanded.

C20 showed loads of promise and I have no doubt in my mind they created some atmospheres that easily rivalled, if not topped, what the Red Legion did (barring magnificent displays vs. Liverpool for example). They also seemed to lack the egos that the RL had and the view of them was far more favourable, but I suspect Max is right, the actual running of these things isn’t just turning up at the right place on a Saturday and the C20 haven’t seemed to be able to keep it going, whereas credit to the RL, they went for quite a few years.

Either way, it’d be nice to see something come back. If something had the drive of the RL without the toxicity then perhaps we’d be on to a winner - easier said than done though.
Not disagreeing with all of this to be honest as some of it is spot on and C20 made a decision to move away from that. like it's been said the RL lived by rules at those times and had to abide by them, interesting towards the end of last season our friends at Nurnberg hung a C20/RL and UTC banner up at St Pauli for their away game so it shows what those in the RL achieved over those years and the respect they got from far flung sets of like minded fans.

Like Max alluded to what people didn't see from the RL and those 20 or so lads who put blood sweat and tears into it was all the times we said to someone "stop being a ****, think of other fans" or those times we found out younger fans had pyro and we'd explain its not worth it and have them throw it away unused or even pay them to throw it away (yes lots did slip by us and got set off by people not members but I'd wager we stopped more then it happened), those time we tried to drown out stupid or offensive chants. We raised loads of charity as well along with so many things and acts of kindness that people never heard of and just done simply because it was the right thing to do at that time. I remember one time a lad not in the RL but a city fan who we knew had lost his job on the Friday and had no money to attend the game so members of the RL donated him a ticket and brought him a pint just to give him few hours of escape from the shit of everyday life.

Personally the RL and C20 was great but I don't miss it at all now, maybe I'm just old but I don't miss the "he said" "they did" "the RL ate my cat" and all the other ******** people who had never liked us or that type of support had to say. I most certainly don't miss dealing with the club or trust but I'll leave that subject alone. Basically what I'm saying is above all else all we wanted to do was support city and give young lads (and lasses) an avenue to have some fun, let off some steam in a safe way and at times a voice that they probably didn't get elsewhere in life.... plus occasionally make a pretty amazing display.

If a mod can close this thread now that be great as the RL is long gone and from I'm told C20 is pretty much on hiatus these days.

Antony Moxey

Any other threads you want closed now that you’re not involved and have no further interest? Maybe the player ones? How about match day threads? Or how about the whole forum?

i8cornwall

Any other threads you want closed now that you’re not involved and have no further interest? Maybe the player ones? How about match day threads? Or how about the whole forum?
Just any you post on would be grand, if I wanted to read ego filled ******** I'd buy Pierce Morgans auto biography.