• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Recurring themes

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Mr Tis after defeat at Posh: "We didn’t quite make it happen for ourselves in the final third and score the goals.”

Mr Hants after defeat at Posh "Lately, There have been occasions where I have thought that Gow has not been playing for the team. Instead he has IMO been overly selfish with the ball and has sulked too much when things have not gone his way."

What stuck me about both these quotes is that they could apply to any number of games this and last season. I'm not suggested they are related (though obviously they are to some extent), but that we seem to get stuck in grooves such as these with little idea of how to get out of them.

manc grecian

It's been nearly 3 years we've had trouble, not just scoring goals but creating chances. We tend to have one week where it's shoot on sight followed by 6 games where we barely register a shot. This is more apparent at home. Slow, over cautious, over complicated football or aimless hoofball seems to be the only choices these days.

Given the starting XI the manager chose yesterday it can't have been a great surprise that we struggled in the final 3rd.

Chudleigh Cannon

For too many years Tisdale just kept going back to the same well, namely Jamie Cureton. Unfortunately Tisdale doesn't 'do' strikers.

contrabombarde

It appears to me that the biggest recurring theme on here is having a pop at Tis after a couple of disappointing results. Refresh your memories by looking at the league table. Very few expected a positive result yesterday anyway. Suggest we move on .

Pete Martin (CTID)

For too many years Tisdale just kept going back to the same well, namely Jamie Cureton. Unfortunately Tisdale doesn't 'do' strikers.
No, what he doesn't do (to any recognisable degree) is wingers. The crosses such as there were yesterday were provided by Woodman and Davies. Wheeler and Gosling spent most of the game warming up. Gosling never came on and Wheeler only in the 81st minute.

I am amazed that so many people seemed satisfied with our performance yesterday. We had 2 shots on target and 7 in total in 90 minutes of football. Parkin spent much of his time floundering or back in defence. We had no guile and no forward momentum until after they scored (echoes of Portsmouth). O'Flynn should have started. They might be up there in League One but, frankly, apart from Assombalonga, Posh had very little to crow about imo. One of our most inventive and dynamic players, JK, hasn't even featured in the last 3 games. Why ever not?

Pete Martin (CTID)

It appears to me that the biggest recurring theme on here is having a pop at Tis after a couple of disappointing results. Refresh your memories by looking at the league table. Very few expected a positive result yesterday anyway. Suggest we move on .
Err.....why not? That's what football fans do old chap.

Frankly Tis gets off pretty lightly compared with many clubs, despite his protestations.

manc grecian

It's more the manner of the defeats.

FAN-TATIC

Mr Tis after defeat at Posh: "We didn’t quite make it happen for ourselves in the final third and score the goals.”

Mr Hants after defeat at Posh "Lately, There have been occasions where I have thought that Gow has not been playing for the team. Instead he has IMO been overly selfish with the ball and has sulked too much when things have not gone his way.
Erm, for factuals, this comment was made by me, in response to a question by another poster of "where was Gow yesterday, is he injured?" I pointed out that the sports presenter on Radio Devon had said that Gow definitely trained during the week, but was not even on the bench. My comment suggested that there may have been a different reason than injury for Gow's absence in the match day squad.

Last edited:

FAN-TATIC

No, what he doesn't do (to any recognisable degree) is wingers. The crosses such as there were yesterday were provided by Woodman and Davies. Wheeler and Gosling spent most of the game warming up. Gosling never came on and Wheeler only in the 81st minute.

I am amazed that so many people seemed satisfied with our performance yesterday. We had 2 shots on target and 7 in total in 90 minutes of football. Parkin spent much of his time floundering or back in defence. We had no guile and no forward momentum until after they scored (echoes of Portsmouth). O'Flynn should have started. They might be up there in League One but, frankly, apart from Assombalonga, Posh had very little to crow about imo. One of our most inventive and dynamic players, JK, hasn't even featured in the last 3 games. Why ever not?
It depends on what Tisdale was looking for Pete. We need cash, so it is possible that Tisdale's aim was to try and get a draw, bring Posh back to SJP where at worst we would get additional non-budgeted income. At best, we get the extra income and progress to the second round. Thus, his team selection was in line with that aim. Just a suggestion.

Last edited:

manc grecian

He was trying to keep it at 0-0 and then try to knick one with 20 to go. It's the same plan he's used in the FA cup for God knows how long.

It's naff all to do with cash or replays.