• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Randell Williams joins Exeter City from Watford

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Randell was on loan at Wycombe before he came to City. Now if we'd actually had him on loan for a couple seasons & Watford then sold him, people would be saying how well we'd used the loan market. Well we actually did better than that: we got him for nothing, had a very good couple of seasons out of him & are about to collect a decent fee too.
Don't see anything to moan about. Oh, & I think we've potentially got a couple of very good, if raw, replacements, waiting in the wings. (No pun intended).
The wing positions are often the easiest to get youngsters settled in to. Joel Randall and Josh Key have plenty of potential and can step up. Another on loan for a bit of depth wouldn't be the worst thing though seeing as Josh might have the occasional full back duty to cover. Same with Jack Sparkes.

StudentGrecian

I can't see it being the worst thing in the world, Williams at times was out of our league, but more often he was a passenger in games. I'm not saying we won't miss him, of course we will, but I think getting some some cash whilst we can is the best thing to do, providing we bring in another first team pro with the cash.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
To borrow from cricketing parlance, he's a flat-track bully. When City were on top in games he did well. When we were struggling and looking for someone to drive is on he never provided.

IndoMike

I think we're pretty well covered down the wings. Another option would be for Key to play at RB and Caprice to play on the RW. He's fast and likes going down the wing. Left side is sorted, with Page, Sparkes and Randall. What MT needs to try to do is get in a good, strong, mobile CB (or 2).
I reckon that would be enough for now.
Have to assume the worst re C-19 .
If we can only have an average of 2k fans per match that means over a season we lose around 69k in attendances. I guess with loss of Bovril money added to we could be down by around 1m quid, plus the attendances we lost at the end of last season
Imo this is the season for hoping the young 'uns can turn out to be good 'uns and the season where we are patient. The good news is that we have a healthy bank account and we hope the club will use it wisely.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Imagine we keep him, he has a poor season, lots of niggling injuries, plays only 20 games and struggles for form. He then walks for nothing next summer. This scenario is equally as likely as him having an incredible season, playing every game, and achieving us promotion.

Avening Posse

Good luck to him, if he finds consistency he should be playing a bit further up the pyramid. If we want to attract players like him we can’t stand in their way if bigger clubs come sniffing. And totally agree with the “sell before he can walk for nothing” point raised by others

Reactions: Ash

Rosencrantz

I think we're pretty well covered down the wings. Another option would be for Key to play at RB and Caprice to play on the RW. He's fast and likes going down the wing. Left side is sorted, with Page, Sparkes and Randall. What MT needs to try to do is get in a good, strong, mobile CB (or 2).
I reckon that would be enough for now.
Have to assume the worst re C-19 .
If we can only have an average of 2k fans per match that means over a season we lose around 69k in attendances. I guess with loss of Bovril money added to we could be down by around 1m quid, plus the attendances we lost at the end of last season
Imo this is the season for hoping the young 'uns can turn out to be good 'uns and the season where we are patient. The good news is that we have a healthy bank account and we hope the club will use it wisely.
Quick heads up Indo. Josh Key is a right winger who has added to his skills on loan at Tivvy so he can play right back as well. Caprice is a right back. So if they both play, it would be more sense the other way around. They are both quick and like to go down the wing 🙂.

IndoMike

Quick heads up Indo. Josh Key is a right winger who has added to his skills on loan at Tivvy so he can play right back as well. Caprice is a right back. So if they both play, it would be more sense the other way around. They are both quick and like to go down the wing 🙂.
😅
Hehe. That's true. Interchangeable though, I'd say. Anyway, for me it's not urgent to replace Williams. We really need that CB (or 2) We've got 2 oil tankers but our opponents often use speed boat attackers

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I really don't understand all the negativity about Randell on this thread. We had the privilege over the last 18 months of watching him develop into one of the standout players in League 2. Why can't we just appreciate that fact rather than carping about all the things he didn't do very well.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agreed. fitness permitting the thought of Page and Sparkes on one wing and Key and Caprice on the other with Randall as back-up looks very promising.