• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Question of the Day.

Oli

Very well known Exeweb poster
This whole last man thing REALLY annoys me! The professional foul ruling was brought in to stop defenders cynically pulling down an attacker before he got to the penalty area, thus denying a goalscoring opportunity.

When the foul occurs inside the penalty area the referee should award a penalty, replacing the goalscoring opportunity that had been denied the attacker.

Therefore, why the need for a red card also? The interpretation of the ruling has been mutated over the years into this 'last man' thing and I sincerely wish Fifa would sort it out. It's so unfair to concede a penalty and go down to 10 men all because of a mis-timed tackle.:mad:
Wasn't it Italia 90 when this was brought in? The red card part that is.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wasn't it Italia 90 when this was brought in? The red card part that is.
Yeah it would have been around that time. As far as I'm aware (though I'm no expert on the laws of the game) it hasn't changed so I don't understand why an automatic red card is given (or not in today's case!).