• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Question of the Day.

Langer

How come Edwards was`nt sent off ?
If the ref gives the pen then surely as last man he has to go? Was the ref unsure? couple yellows given today aswell for same sort for thing.
I am not a ref but seem to too know the rules better than them.

Joshyd123

Very well known Exeweb poster
I thought exactly that.

I'm guessing that the referee did give the penalty because Edwards was last man and that should be a red card obviously. I was somewhat shocked when Edwards stayed on though.

Hmm...

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Because he bottled it I think. We all know that Rob should have been off and I think that the ref will have that decision looked at because it was just like he didn't know what he was doing. What confused me was that he didn't even give the yellow.

Langer

Agree Jan ref should of covered his ass and gave a yellow(as a bottle) and looked poor, but by giving pen and no card shows hes unsure of rules.
While on this note lines-men very poor today.

ECFC '72

Laughing at the people showing their true colours
Was it a penalty ? (Genuine question.)

From where I was, I wasn't sure it was and thought Edwards got the ball first. That said, the player was obviously going to go down and give the Ref a decision to make.

Langer

I thought Edwards got more of the ball than anything ref was mugged.

Antony Moxey

Probably because he didn't want to compound his shocker of a decision to award the penalty in the first place. He didn't even speak to Edwards - I guess he knew he'd just handed them the game and didn't want to embarrass himself further.

Oli

If it was a foul it had to be a red card surely? He was not even booked or spoken to...................

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
This whole last man thing REALLY annoys me! The professional foul ruling was brought in to stop defenders cynically pulling down an attacker before he got to the penalty area, thus denying a goalscoring opportunity.

When the foul occurs inside the penalty area the referee should award a penalty, replacing the goalscoring opportunity that had been denied the attacker.

Therefore, why the need for a red card also? The interpretation of the ruling has been mutated over the years into this 'last man' thing and I sincerely wish Fifa would sort it out. It's so unfair to concede a penalty and go down to 10 men all because of a mis-timed tackle.:mad:

Last edited:

GeraintJones

Probably because he didn't want to compound his shocker of a decision to award the penalty in the first place. He didn't even speak to Edwards - I guess he knew he'd just handed them the game and didn't want to embarrass himself further.
nail hit firmly on head