• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Proper Interesting Thread

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Was once told the black line in the middle of the lollipop sign used was for the person using it to be able to write a vehicles registration on with a bit of chalk they would carry if someone didn't stop when they walked into the road.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
How they get the menthol into a pack of menthol cigarettes ? No it's not in the filter, nor in the tobacco. They actually infuse it on the tissue lining of the silver paper, and then once the packet has been sealed in it's plastic wrapper, nature does the rest

iscalad

How they get the menthol into a pack of menthol cigarettes ? No it's not in the filter, nor in the tobacco. They actually infuse it on the tissue lining of the silver paper, and then once the packet has been sealed in it's plastic wrapper, nature does the rest
How come you can buy menthol filters for rollies?

Colesman Ballz

How come you can buy menthol filters for rollies?
Haven't a clue, perhaps it's a more recent development ? I learnt my info from British American Tobacco, when I was working on designs for a new factory for them near Corby many years ago. It will all become irrelevant in a couple of months time when they are banned anyway.

As an aside, they owned another site nearby, in readiness to build another factory to produce cannabis cigarettes should the law be changed. They had already test marketed products in countries in Africa, where it was not illegal, and had patented brand names.

LOG

I don't know if they're still available but Imperial Tobacco launched a cigarette that had a small menthol pod in the filter which you could squeeze to activate so it gave you the choice.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Know what a "tosspot" is ? It meant a heavy drinker originally. Who knew that !?

OmanGrecian

In olden time bars, the glasses/cups used to have a whistle on them. To get service you would blow the whistle.

This is where the term “wet your whistle” comes from.

OmanGrecian

All bars in Australia are required, by law, to have somewhere to tie up your horse.

Colesman Ballz

All bars in Australia are required, by law, to have somewhere to tie up your horse.
Sounds similar to the law that required all licensed London Taxis (Hackney Carriages) to carry a bale of hay as food for their horse. Although possibly they have finally got round to repealing that ?

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I love this one.

The printing of newspapers, posters, books and other reading has been done much in the same way for centuries, up until the modern computer age, with inks and wooden blocks with letters and numbers all arranged to create the printed page. Printers and type setters would painstakingly set up the workpiece in the chosen font taking care of spelling and spacing in their efforts to produce the finished piece. They had countless sets of letters, punctuation marks and numbers which were neatly organised and kept in trays ready for use. And, get this, they would keep the capital letters in an upper case and the small letters in a lower case.