• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Proper Interesting Thread

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I love this one.

The printing of newspapers, posters, books and other reading has been done much in the same way for centuries, up until the modern computer age, with inks and wooden blocks with letters and numbers all arranged to create the printed page. Printers and type setters would painstakingly set up the workpiece in the chosen font taking care of spelling and spacing in their efforts to produce the finished piece. They had countless sets of letters, punctuation marks and numbers which were neatly organised and kept in trays ready for use. And, get this, they would keep the capital letters in an upper case and the small letters in a lower case.
just like the toy printer sets you could get in the 40s and 50s.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Know what a "tosspot" is ? It meant a heavy drinker originally. Who knew that !?
Are you a devotee of the delectable Susie Dent then Billy ?

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Are you a devotee of the delectable Susie Dent then Billy ?
No. I'm reading Charles Dickens' Barnaby Rudge and a character in that denies that he is a tosspot. I certainly wasn't expecting to read that...so i googled it.

Susie Dent ?

Nay.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Know what a "tosspot" is ? It meant a heavy drinker originally. Who knew that !?
I remember a boozer called Tosspot in a school play. Don't recall which play, though.

Seems there's also a noun "Tosspottery", which means an act of folly, showing delusions of grandeur and/or blind stupidity.

E.g. becoming an Argyle fan, presumably.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Chairman of Aldershot FC has been appointed High Sheriff of Surrey.

Swanaldo

There are more plastic decorative flamingoes in the world than actual flamingoes.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
A male ladybird can mate with a dead female for up to four hours before realising something is wrong.

We were researching ladybirds online as part of our garden battle with aphids when my missus discovered this nugget.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Dinosaurs lived on the planet a very long time ago and existed for millions of years before dying out. Early dinosaurs like the Stegosaurus were extinct well before others likeTyrannosaurus Rex came along and in a timeline T.Rex was closer to us now than to a Stegosaurus. Therefore, and here's the good bit, a T. Rex would have been more likely to have encountered an ipad than to have seen a Stegosaurus.

fred binneys head

I don’t think that’s true. The likelihood is the same. Nil.

Spoonz Red E

T.Rex would have been more likely to encounter automatic shoes.