• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Pre Season

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/City-ticking-end-August/story-13032132-detail/story.html

Surely thats what pre-season is for so that the team is "ticking" right from the off.

You have to question why the first team have not had much of a work out in the PSFs. Sounds like they will be "under cooked" come Aug 6th.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/City-ticking-end-August/story-13032132-detail/story.html

Surely thats what pre-season is for so that the team is "ticking" right from the off.

You have to question why the first team have not had much of a work out in the PSFs. Sounds like they will be "under cooked" come Aug 6th.
I think I trust Tis' judgement on this; the evidence supports what he says. Of course he hopes (as we all do) that the team will hit the ground running next weekend but he knows it's not as simple as playing a few PSFs and then the team being 100% on song, and is right to sound a note of caution.

The first couple of games are always a bit of a lottery in all leagues; remember that Norwich lost 7-1 at home to Colchester on the first day of the 2009 season and still went up 2 seasons running and are now in the premiership. Of course they sacked Bryn Gunn and brought in Paul Lambert, but that was probably a slight over-reaction...

So I wont panic even if we don't get a result at Stevenage, it's what happens over 46 games that counts. And even if we lost 7-1 City wouldn't sack Tis.

Grecian_Jay

Pre-Season this year has been a farce. Trip to Norway to play some plumbers and fans, how is that gonna help? It's all about fitness so you wanna play a better side who will pass the ball and move you round abit (Torquay for example!).

Am I right in thinking that at this stage (1 week away from the big KO) that most of our first teamers have played 1-2 games max? If so that's crazy. Expecting a strong line-up tomorrow.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think that Tis is attempting to manage expectations here. He did the same with David Noble by saying we won't see the best of him till mid-way through the season. To be honest, he made a good point that last pre-season we were fantastic but had a very average start to the season. I do feel though, that the first team have very few friendlies against decent opposition, so it will be interesting to see how we look on 6 August against a physical and hardworking team like Stevenage.

Poultice

Ol' Cheesy certainly leaves himself open to criticism, pre-season has been something of a joke with most of what we expect the first game line up to be hardly having had a kick yet. We were awful at the start of last season, which cost us came the close of play, I have no clue what wonder strategy the Meister is playing here but if we come out of the traps like a bichon frise rather than a race trained greyhound I would hope someone from the lap dog media might ask the question. I doubt they will though as we have a posse of pussies in both the radio and print media nowadays, the day of the rottweiler went with the rise of hospitatlity.

Obviously if we get to September with three wins and a couple of draws as well as a second round LC spot in the bag I shall doff me cap, good odds against this are available at www.poulticebet.con.

older-codger

I haven't yet seen any PSF but maybe we will be surprised by the make up of the "first team" as a result of what he has learned about the youngsters.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pre-Season this year has been a farce. Trip to Norway to play some plumbers and fans, how is that gonna help? It's all about fitness so you wanna play a better side who will pass the ball and move you round abit (Torquay for example!).
All this I agree with. We play one championship team and a Div2 side and then fritter away good time playing nothing teams. I live in hope that next season we play stronger opposition asp, so come the first match the team should just about pick itself.

Cravat 2

It's been a funny pre-season and I've been surprised by the lack of 'big' games other than the drubbing from Torquay and then the weekend's game against Derby.

That said, all that matters is that the players are fit and raring to go at Stevenage.

Alistair20000

Ol' Cheesy certainly leaves himself open to criticism, pre-season has been something of a joke with most of what we expect the first game line up to be hardly having had a kick yet. We were awful at the start of last season, which cost us came the close of play, I have no clue what wonder strategy the Meister is playing here but if we come out of the traps like a bichon frise rather than a race trained greyhound I would hope someone from the lap dog media might ask the question. I doubt they will though as we have a posse of pussies in both the radio and print media nowadays, the day of the rottweiler went with the rise of hospitatlity.

Obviously if we get to September with three wins and a couple of draws as well as a second round LC spot in the bag I shall doff me cap, good odds against this are available at www.poulticebet.con.
Your website needs attention Poults. Have you paid the fees you cheapskate ?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Next season there should (we hope!) be no problems with the pitch so we can have more PSFs at home.

That said, looking forward to the Derby game tomorrow. From what they say one their website they seem to be taking it seriously although they have a lot of players coming back from injuries so will probably rotate a lot. I hope we see our strongest 11 for 60 minutes, and that McNish, Shephard, Nichols and Bennett also get half an hour.