• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Positions that must be filled next season?

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
1. Because he gets an immediate pay rise

2. Because its our insurance policy when clubs from the higher leagues come looking in June and July.
Sorry if i'm being a bit dim, but this does not compute.

If he's so keen to leave why would he sign a new contract meaning that to be able to do so his new club would have to pay a transfer fee on top of this immediate pay rise he'll be getting? Mr Keen to Leave has become Mr More Expensive to Sign so he can't be that desperate or he'd have let his old contract run down, shirley?

Yes, the new contract protects the club to an extent but we couldn't have made him sign it.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
He hasn't played well enough since signing the contract to warrant a move.
Indeed, he's been poor lately.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Been getting decent enuf reviews of recent.
He's was dire on Saturday and a couple of good performances doesn't make up for years of ****e.

oxford don

Sorry if i'm being a bit dim, but this does not compute.

If he's so keen to leave why would he sign a new contract meaning that to be able to do so his new club would have to pay a transfer fee on top of this immediate pay rise he'll be getting? Mr Keen to Leave has become Mr More Expensive to Sign so he can't be that desperate or he'd have let his old contract run down, shirley?

Yes, the new contract protects the club to an extent but we couldn't have made him sign it.
Not saying He would be keen to leave...however if there is some interest from say a Div 1 side he would be silly not to seriously consider an offer. All professional sportsmen should endeavour to play at the highest level they can. The Club know his worth and that he is one of the better players with potential that's why they protected there investment with a new contract offer.

I don't think we have seen anywhere near the best of Wheeler yet and I wouldn't be surprised at all if a few other Clubs thought the same.

Last edited:

oxford don

Indeed, he's been poor lately.
When he's been played wide right and given his head he's done well imo.. Tis tries to turn him into something he's not...Like racehorses, some times a change of trainer and new surroundings works wonders..

When we have had Wheeler right right and Ribs behind him its always been a pretty potent combination

ForeverECFC

He's was dire on Saturday and a couple of good performances doesn't make up for years of ****e.
I also think the decent reviews are more based on the fact he's not been as bad as usual rather than playing particularly well

Crawley away he was fine but was a solid team performance overall anyway.

Antony Moxey

Not saying He would be keen to leave...however if there is some interest from say a Div 1 side he would be silly not to seriously consider an offer. All professional sportsmen should endeavour to play at the highest level they can. The Club know his worth and that he is one of the better players with potential that's why they protected there investment with a new contract offer.

I don't think we have seen anywhere near the best of Wheeler yet and I wouldn't be surprised at all if a few other Clubs thought the same.
'Keen to leave' and 'will want away to better things' are pretty much the same thing so yes, in fact, that is what you said.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
You would think we had Messi upfront the hype Watkins is getting , he's had a few decent games and scored a good goal against Argyle - can't take it away from the lad but he's a young kid finding his way....

Antony Moxey

It's just excitement after the Argyle game Creds, you should try a bit of it instead of constantly telling everyone how ordinary we are. Weekends like last weekend are few and far in between, make the most of them when they come around.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
It's just excitement after the Argyle game Creds, you should try a bit of it instead of constantly telling everyone how ordinary we are. Weekends like last weekend are few and far in between, make the most of them when they come around.
Thanks for telling me how to live my life Antony - it's much appreciated.