• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
It’s not illegal to seek asylum Tavy.
It’s illegal to force your presence on a country outwith our current arrangements for taking in asylum seekers.
If it were legal millions of people could just for example enter a British Embassy and claim asylum and we would take them in.

arthur

It’s illegal to force your presence on a country outwith our current arrangements for taking in asylum seekers.
If it were legal millions of people could just for example enter a British Embassy and claim asylum and we would take them in.
What, without processing their claims? Liberalism gone mad...

tavyred

What, without processing their claims? Liberalism gone mad...
Most would succeed in their claim and the rest if so inclined could jump in a dinghy anyway safe in the knowledge they’d get to stay.

arthur

Most would succeed in their claim
What evidence do you have for this statement? You paint a picture of British Embassies across the world being besieged by asylum applicants and then "most" of these applications being granted.

Since you clearly know so much about the subject can you please tell us what the criteria are for being granted asylum and give us examples of when asylum would be granted and when it would be refused.

tavyred

Labour, Lib Dems and Greens have to find a way of sharing out the remaining 70% in such a way that the 30% don't have influence beyond what their numbers deserve...

You and Jinx would no doubt assert that my 30% figure should be nearer 60%. We can then bang on about alternative universes
You conveniently ignore the fact that we’ve just had four consecutive Tory lead Governments able to govern with 36-42% of the vote.
I do also remember the decade or so of liberals like yourself telling us that no one (or not enough did) cared about EU freedom of movement. How did that go?

arthur

You conveniently ignore the fact that we’ve just had four consecutive Tory lead Governments able to govern with 36-42% of the vote.
I do also remember the decade or so of liberals like yourself telling us that no one (or not enough did) cared about EU freedom of movement. How did that go?
Not all Tory voters think like the 30%. I'd have thought that was obvious.

I have no recollection of telling anyone what people thought about Freedom of Movement. FYI I worked in an industry where the labour shortage was solved by the arrival.of accession country people rather than by an increase in wages so was acutely aware of the effects of FoM...

tavyred

What evidence do you have for this statement? You paint a picture of British Embassies across the world being besieged by asylum applicants and then "most" of these applications being granted.

Since you clearly know so much about the subject can you please tell us what the criteria are for being granted asylum and give us examples of when asylum would be granted and when it would be refused.
Everytime I complain about the boat people being economic migrants someone like yourself says, “why then are the majority of their applications granted?”.
You can’t have it both ways Art. 🤷‍♂️
As I’ve said a few times now, as the asylum rules are currently constituted there are millions of people who would succeed in being granted asylum here if they applied.
You do get that every western country is engaged in an exercise in stopping people applying for asylum don’t you?
Hence the illegal trafficking of people into Europe.

tavyred

Not all Tory voters think like the 30%. I'd have thought that was obvious.

I have no recollection of telling anyone what people thought about Freedom of Movement. FYI I worked in an industry where the labour shortage was solved by the arrival.of accession country people rather than by an increase in wages so was acutely aware of the effects of FoM...
Oh it happened and has been well documented as having happened, if not by you personally then by people who were more then happy to label ordinary people racist or xenophobic for raising their legitimate objections to FOM.
Illegal immigration can’t be left and needs a political solution even Starmer is switched on enough to know that.

arthur

Everytime I complain about the boat people being economic migrants someone like yourself says, “why then are the majority of their applications granted?”.
You can’t have it both ways Art. 🤷‍♂️
As I’ve said a few times now, as the asylum rules are currently constituted there are millions of people who would succeed in being granted asylum here if they applied.
You do get that every western country is engaged in an exercise in stopping people applying for asylum don’t you?
Hence the illegal trafficking of people into Europe.
Yet you cannot tell us what the asylum rules are.....

Still, there's always that fount of all knowledge, The Daily Mail, to rely on I suppose

tavyred

Yet you cannot tell us what the asylum rules are.....

Still, there's always that fount of all knowledge, The Daily Mail, to rely on I suppose
Art, if I wanted to cite the asylum rules to you I’d just cut and paste them from the UN Charter.
The question is if the UK (and the rest) are fully signed up signatories to the aforementioned UN Charter covering asylum why are we ‘forcing’ refugees into boats so they can illegally force an application on us?
I know why, do you?