• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jonathon Gullis promotion - now Tory Deputy Chairman replacing the defector Lee Anderson.

When I first heard, thought it a joke, but seems not.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jonathon Gullis promotion - now Tory Deputy Chairman replacing the defector Lee Anderson.

When I first heard, thought it a joke, but seems not.
That'll learn em

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Look who’s concerned about Immigration, 65+, leave voting Tories. Aww bless

Not a significant issue for any other cohort.

Very interesting indeed.

tavyred

Anything they say will be jumped on by the Tories. I’m expecting them to have a mature approach to working with our European friends and will probably rejoin the Dublin Agreement.

Hopefully the heat can be taken out of this non issue over time with a more measured approach.
SKS floated the idea of cooperating with the EU a few months back and abandoned the idea within hours such was the public reaction.
If by some miracle the flights to Rwanda happen before the GE, expect another spectacular u-turn by Starmer and Labour adopting the policy pretty pronto.

Mid Devon Grecian

SKS floated the idea of cooperating with the EU a few months back and abandoned the idea within hours such was the public reaction.
If by some miracle the flights to Rwanda happen before the GE, expect another spectacular u-turn by Starmer and Labour adopting the policy pretty pronto.
It’s tricky for him no doubt. I suspect their manifesto will have some tough talking in it just to tame the Tory attacks during a GE campaign. We’ll see a different outcome once they hold the reins.

Still, it’s only old leave voting Tories that are so worked up about it.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Art would I'm sure argue that the public reaction will be less important in the first year of Starmer's tenure as PM than in the year leading up to an election. Perhaps this will throw up a few surprises.

tavyred

Still, it’s only old leave voting Tories that are so worked up about it.
If you don’t mind MDG I’m going to bookmark this comment and perhaps return to it in the near future.😎

tavyred

Art would I'm sure argue that the public reaction will be less important in the first year of Starmer's tenure as PM than in the year leading up to an election. Perhaps this will throw up a few surprises.

There is a school of thought coming from commentators saying that Labour’s honeymoon period will be shorter than normal such are our problems, like illegal immigration.
I do wish them well though, no one wants our government to fail.

Mid Devon Grecian

There is a school of thought coming from commentators saying that Labour’s honeymoon period will be shorter than normal such are our problems, like illegal immigration.
It’s not illegal to seek asylum Tavy.

arthur

Your concern about irregular migration and your sincere belief that this is the issue that will cause the new government to become unpopular very quickly is certainly shared by others but is not, I dare to suggest, electorally significant.

There is a hard core in this country who think like you do, who remain troubled by immigration and have never liked the EU. I would guess it constitutes about 30% of the electorate, but they will almost always vote for the Conservatives or parties to the further right or, quite often, not vote at all.

Labour, Lib Dems and Greens have to find a way of sharing out the remaining 70% in such a way that the 30% don't have influence beyond what their numbers deserve...

You and Jinx would no doubt assert that my 30% figure should be nearer 60%. We can then bang on about alternative universes

Last edited: