• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Swanaldo

Very well known Exeweb poster
With our current crop of 'proper' politicians he doesn't need to be for anything. Farage inhabits a political vacuum wholly created by the mainstream parties. We need someone or a party with the political courage to embrace Brexit or bin it completely.
Although I suspect we are coming at this from opposite ends of the political spectrum, I agree with you. British politics has talked about nothing but Brexit for three years, let's stop kicking the can down the road and move on for ****'s sake.

fred binneys head

I know it’s not UK politics but well done to Iceland in the Eurovision Song Contest tonight. Balls the size of watermelons, fair play.

tavyred

Yawn. Let's see him "win" an election that actually matters.
He won the Euros last time round and forced Cameron into an EU referendum.
Ergo Brexit.
Farage is the most influential politician of his generation, surprised some people can’t see past their personal dislike of the man and recognise that fact.

Temporarily Exiled

Big Nige was finished in June 2016, now he's on the cusp of winning another national election. I wonder why.
If he was done he should've retired properly, stopped taking a salary, and allowed for someone to replace him that would actually do the job and represent his constituents in his place.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
He won the Euros last time round and forced Cameron into an EU referendum.
Ergo Brexit.
Farage is the most influential politician of his generation, surprised some people can’t see past their personal dislike of the man and recognise that fact.
Don't make me laugh. "Influential" politicians do more than whip up protest votes. They actually turn up to the job they've been elected to do. Farage is barely a politician, but he is definitely a hypocrite.

tavyred

Millions of people detest Farage and yet he still hoovers up votes (protest votes or otherwise) by the millions.
He must have something.

fred binneys head

He’s an adept protest politician, but that’s not something to be admired.

Temporarily Exiled

Lib Dems up to 17% in YouGov's latest poll, and The Observer is reporting that they're set to win the most votes of any party in London. How much longer can Corbyn keep his current position? Also have to wonder whether the Lib Dems could win two seats in the south west. The power of the tactical vote, or genuine change?

Last edited:

Temporarily Exiled

I read yesterday that the new line isn't by class or wealth, it isn't even age (though that's a strong indicator). It's nationalism versus internationalism. There could be something to that – Farage uses a lot of nationalist rhetoric, and the Lib Dems are maybe the most consistently internationalist party in the UK.

tavyred

I read yesterday that the new line isn't by class or wealth, it isn't even age (though that's a strong indicator). It's nationalism versus internationalism. There could be something to that – Farage uses a lot of nationalist rhetoric, and the Lib Dems are maybe the most consistently internationalist party in the UK.
Very good point.
With this whole Brexit business, I’ve been very surprised at how many people have no particular affinity with the nation state. A subject matter that was developing on the old thread, until Hants closed it and deleted posts of course.